Logo

1993 johnson 90 hp shift rod spacer?

kramdua

90 johnson vj90tlets. i took lower unit off to reseal and replace water pump complete kit. i ordered my parts first. a lower unit reseal kit. water pump assembly. looking at the parts diagram it shows a shift rod spacer. i ordered the spacer also. once i took the lower unit off the engine i don't see where the spacer goes unless it's just missing.
it's #10 in the diagram. it shows it is in between the housing and the shaft seal. when i took mine apart i only had the shift housing with the seal directly on top. thanks. first time posting but i have used the sight many times so thanks,321122--top.jpght3m35Rl.jpg

90 johnson vj90tlets. i took lower unit off to reseal and replace water pump complete kit. i ordered my parts first. a lower unit reseal kit. water pump assembly. looking at the parts diagram it shows a shift rod spacer. i ordered the spacer also. once i took the lower unit off the engine i don't see where the spacer goes unless it's just missing.
it's #10 in the diagram. it shows it is in between the housing and the shaft seal. when i took mine apart i only had the shift housing with the seal directly on top. thanks. first time posting but i have used the sight many times so thanks

The parts list seems to suggest that the spacer is only used in 25" models

#10 — 321122 — SPACER, SHIFT ROD. 25 IN. (635MM) TRANSOM MODELS (1 required per assembly)

ok thanks, i'll check my motor length. i think it's 20. i think i need to read more print.
mark

The "L" in the number indicates that it is a ""long shaft", Long shaft motors fit a 20" transom .

An extra long shaft motor, for a 25" transom, would have an "X" in the number.

Your dealer should have realised that a motor with VJ90TLETS as the model number did not require the spacer and at least queried why you were asking for it. The reason to always quote the full model number is to be sure to get the right parts.

Back