Logo

1980 454 FWC Crusader Lost Oil Pressure and now knocking

whaler200

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, did a search but didn't find my issue exactly. Bought a 1980 CC Commander 410 last August and finally brought it home from off the hard about 6 weeks ago. Boat ran fine from Atlantic City all the way to Baltimore without issues over 2 days. Oil and filters were fresh and at appropriate level. Speed varied between 14 knots to about 9-10 knots for most of trip. Rarely were we close to 3k RPM, more like around 2200. Temps were fine, no issues whatsoever.

Last week we took the boat over to get a pumpout and top off the fuel. Both engines started and ran normally. When we left the gas dock, about 1 mile from our slip I went to accelerate for a short cruise and immediately heard what I would describe as a clattering and a definite vibration of some kind coming from the starboard engine. I was up to about 1800 rpm engines warm when this occurred. Immediately idled the engine and turned around to head back to the slip. Engine shut off but before it did I watched the oil pressure start dropping pretty quickly. I was about to shut it down when it died on its own. Normal oil pressure between 40-45 slightly higher when cold. Got the boat back in slip on one engine and let both engines cool down. Immediately checking the oil the starboard motor was still full but smelled burnt. My attempt to restart met with nothing, starter engaged but no crank (figured it was seized). Next morning it started and ran but with a loud knock, to me sounds like bottom end and oil pressure wouldn't come up at all so immediately shut down.

My question is could a spun bearing happen all of a sudden leading to catastrophic failure with no warning? I haven't tried to isolate which cylinder yet but will soon. Engines are original purportedly rebuilt around 1500 hours and now show about 2100. Any thoughts? I'm thinking it's time for a repower.

When a bearing 'spins', there's usually no warning....I doubt that isolating to a cylinder will be worth the effort at this point.

A repower is one option, and usually the fastest if your wallet can bear it....

Speaking of re-power does anyone have the dimensions of the long block for the 454? Would the heads have to come (short block) off as well to get it down to at or near 28" in width to clear a doorway...

32 1/8" with the newer center riser manifold....so you should be fine with the exhaust manifolds (and other bolt ons that protrude) removed....

Looking for suppliers of Long Block Crusader 454 remans for my application (1980, 4 Bolt Main). Anyone have any suggestions? I've seen remans offered by Marshalls Machine in ME but have concerns about their reviews.

I had very good results when I used Rapido Marine out of Hollywood Florida. Fast service and cheap shipping prices.

Why not tear down the motor that lost oil pressure and see what damage you have and what caused the failure? I always felt better rebuilding my 1981 454's instead of relying on remans from who knows where. I trust my local machine shop and got to see the machining process as I was rebuilding my engines.

Why not tear down the motor that lost oil pressure and see what damage you have and what caused the failure? I always felt better rebuilding my 1981 454's instead of relying on remans from who knows where. I trust my local machine shop and got to see the machining process as I was rebuilding my engines.

Same approach here....it takes a few extra days but you know what you got when you are done.....

Back