Logo

Honda BF150 throttle adjustment - not attaining top speed

TMRmarine

Hi Folks,

Just bought a new boat and it has a honda 150 on it. Motor runs great but top speed is a slow for this boat/motor combo. Motor seems like it is the right height and has the right prop. I understand trimming. I am wondering if I am actually getting full throttle.

When I push the throttle all the way down (with the motor off), the linkage could still go a bit further (see video).

https://youtu.be/pfS_wTV5BWg

Should this play be in the linkage or should it be adjusted out to achieve full throttle?

Thanks.

What rpms and speed are you getting now? What size boat? What prop is on the boat now?

Tops out at about 41 mph. Its an Alumacraft T-pro 185 (18'3"). The prop is a 19 pitch, considered a standard prop. Have no idea what the RPMs are - the dealer hasn't been able to figure out how to set the tach correctly and they don't have the diagnostic tools to plug into the motor and pull the data off of it...

Last edited:
Ok a few more questions—-what year is the motor, and do you have an NMEA 2000 GPS/FF that can hook up to the motor (assuming the motor year is compliant)?

I think that boat should be closer to 50, as the 195 hits 49 with a 150. If you can get some fuel data and cruise around 3800 RPM, you will be pleased, but hard to tell with the tach issue.

Money more thing to try is to see if your linkage is moving that far forward while on the trailer/on the dock. You may have some cable stretch if this is an older boat.

Ok a few more questions—-what year is the motor, and do you have an NMEA 2000 GPS/FF that can hook up to the motor (assuming the motor year is compliant)?

I think that boat should be closer to 50, as the 195 hits 49 with a 150. If you can get some fuel data and cruise around 3800 RPM, you will be pleased, but hard to tell with the tach issue.

Money more thing to try is to see if your linkage is moving that far forward while on the trailer/on the dock. You may have some cable stretch if this is an older boat.

Its a 2019. Its all brand new. Have only had it 2 months. I have ordered the diagnostic tool so I should be able to get the data. I think the tach is probably set correctly now but I just picked it up from the dealer yesterday and haven't had it back on the water since then. The most common number I see for top speed with this boat is 44-45 (with gear, gas, people, etc.)

When the throttle lever is wide open (in the driveway, motor not running), the linkage by the motor can still move a bit further. That is what I showed in the video link. Should that extra play be there in the linkage when at full throttle?

So your next question is probably "If it is brand new, why don't you just take it to the dealer and have them fix it?" Might as well answer that right away...
They won't fix it/don't know how, and damaged the boat the last time they had it. Taking it back to my dealer isn't an option for this issue and I really don't want to anyway.

First off congrats on the new motor/package.

I just went outside and tried mine and I have no play at full throttle as it is maxed. I also hit about 6100 RPMs, cruise efficiently around 3800 to just under 4 K. I do not know if the new cables are vastly different, but it may need to have a few more turns at the motor with the linkage. If it was mine, I would verify the RPMs first with the tool.

And totally understandable about the dealer, just don’t get stuck in a warranty issue, as the dealer network may be hard to come by depending on location.

Thanks for the info Triton! I figured there shouldn't be any play in that linkage, but I'm a bit hesitant to start tinkering with stuff on a brand new motor unless I am sure I am doing it the right way. I won't have it on the water for a couple of weeks and my diagnostic tool should be here before then so I'll see what it tells me.

Back