Logo

Rough Idle, stalls, runns strong.

RoyBrew

I have a 95 Evinrude 88 hp. E88TSLEOC. I overhauled this motor about 2 months ago. New pistons, rings, seals gaskets and stuff. I soaked and overhauled both carbs complete with new floats, seals and gaskets. Running oil at 25 to 1, per manual for break in purpose. That's 32oz of oil to 6 gallons of gas. Mixed with gas when I fuel up, this motor has no VRO.

First time we took it out it ran great. Started right up and purred with no stalling. Couldn't ask for better. We ran around with varying speeds stoping and starting with no issues for about an hour.

The next week we took it out and it the idle was a little worse. It still run strong when you take off.

I put new set of plugs in and it idled better for the couple hours out that day. Next time out it didn't idle so great and would stall like it was flooding out. Cleaned the plugs and it done better, a little. I will recheck the compression and spark plugs next week. Buddy said there's to much oil in the eng. Here's pere picture of plug. All 4 plugs looked the same.

Ok. Compression on all 4 cylinders 115psi +/- 2psi. All 4 plugs removed and throttle open. It's an old hand held compression Gage, but I believe it's pretty consistent. Spark gap Gage set at 7/16+ and spark cracks across with a blue arc.
Picture of all 4 spark plugs.
Setting for fuel primer, which I believe is correct.
I am missing parts of my air silencers, which I would like to find if anyone has any info where I can geIMG_20190714_154207252.jpgIMG_20190714_153321809_HDR.jpgIMG_20190714_153822816.jpgIMG_20190714_154207252.jpgIMG_20190714_154227130.jpgt them.
Racerone, water shoots out the discharge hose pretty good stream. Warning horn bad. I will be replacing it. I put new thermostats in when I overhauled it.

Going to be looking through repair manual.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am starting to regret buying this boat and motor.

I failed to mention. It acts like it's flooding out. When I get it started, after some cranking and opening the throttle, it runs rough till I open the throttle and run it hard for 20 seconds or so. But unless you get it back to idle and in gear and take off, it'll stall.

I did notice there was an excessive amount of grease on the timer base when I overhauled it. I didn't think it was abnormal at the time until I read a few posts on here. Just a thought. It did run great right after I rebuilt it. The idling and hard starting had slowly gotten worse since then. If I pull the plugs and clean them with carb cleaner it'll start good, but won't idle long before stalling.

Found problem when I removed carb cover and squeezed primer bulb. Must've sucked something in my nice rebuilt carb. I'll report back after I correct the problem.IMG_20190716_174709806.jpg

Back