Logo

Carb differences and issues

Shawn73

I have a 1985 70hp with carbs# 396964, what is the difference between those and the 396965 from the same year? Would they work on mine?

Well they would be if you swap the parts that are different on them.-----Look closely and see that the center carburetor has different parts to link it to the other carburetors.-----Other than that feature all 3 do the same thing.-----Why are you asking this ?----What is your motor doing / not doing ?

Racerone, So it started with the motor stalling or bogging when put into into gear,(on the lake) once I could get it going it runs fine. I had the carbs rebuilt by a trusted mechanic. Same problem. Took it back to him and he seems to think the carbs are bad. I have found three new never used hence the initial question.

In my opinion there is nothing that can go wrong with these to warrant carburetor replacement !------Well except for worn out / sloppy throttle shafts.-----What other trouble shooting was done if any ??----Your location ?

In OK. Compression and spark was check and all was good. I am decent at mechanics but never worked on outboards. I have gone though most connectors to insure they were clean and tight. Have replaced fuel selenoid, other than that the mechanic went through it , he seemed a bit baffled by it as well.

A good one of those would show 130 PSI on my compression tester.-----Good spark would jump a gap of 7/16" or more.----Numbers mean someting to me.----" good compression , good spark " means nothing.----Is there a thermostat installed ?----Poppit valves in place "----Reed valves checked ?----Fuel pump diaphragm checked ?

Racerone, total understand, will get a compression tester and do it myself and run it through the spark test .not sure what a poppit valve is but no thermostat installed but but has a new fuel pump. Reed valves were gone through when rebuilt.

Back