Logo

Lower unit on 04 Honda 200 caught on fire

Bwilli

I installed a battery cut off switch today on my tritoon. I wired it the same way my Malibu skier shut off switch is wired and has been working for 12 years. My cut off switch in my Malibu has only a 8-10 inch wire going from the switch to battery terminal. The one I put on the tritoon was a 4 foot cable because I wanted to mount switch in an easy accessible spot on back wall. After wiring, everything seemed in working order. I turned switch to off radio and dash lights etc. Went off. Turned switch to on stereo etc came back on. I checked battery terminals and cables for getting hot they weren't about a minute in on position I smelled something burning I looked down from inside tritoon and left side of lower unit was on fire. I immediately turned shut off switch to off got fire extinguisher and put out fire. Could using a longer battery cable cause a pull of too much amperage and cause a fire? After I got fire extinguished I saw a ground wire that was burnt in two. I got another wire and reconnected wire to see if it would start. I pulled out all the wires I had installed and the shut off switch and reconnected it how it was originally. It wouldn't start and warning beeps went off when I tried starting it. I am hoping I didn't damage other parts as well because I can't afford a new Honda 200 motor.IMG_20190712_183740.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen this before, you don't have a proper direct earth from the motor to the battery and it used the continuity strap between the swivel bracket and the extension housing. It shouldn't have done more than cosmetic damage from the glowing continuity strap which made the plastic cover catch alight.

I have seen this before, you don't have a proper direct earth from the motor to the battery and it used the continuity strap between the swivel bracket and the extension housing. It shouldn't have done more than cosmetic damage from the glowing continuity strap which made the plastic cover catch alight.
After I put out fire and removed the melted plastic there was a 3 inch wire that was disconnected. I don't know if it heated up and broke apart or the fire caused it to break but I tried replacing it with another wire then I turned over the key and nothing. I think I might have fried the water pump because the light signal on my dash that is shaped like a water drop was blinking and beeping.

1. Check all fuses - pull each one and test for continuity. Especially check the 30 amp one
View attachment Fuses.pdf.

2. Then get an auto jumper cable and connect battery ground to engine ground.

3. Then try to start. If no start, then by pass each positive connection with the second jumper cable, one at a lime.

Back