Logo

'68 Chrysler 9.9

bomar97

Our 9.9 decided to bog down in trolling mode.. so thinking it's a carb issue.. but no one here wants to touch it.. or is interested in buying as they all say Chryslers are a boat anchor.

Right now wanting to buy a new engine with electric start so not considering repair. The boat shop says the Chrysler is worthless for trade-in.

So thinking the only thing to do is part out and sell parts online and large chunks to the scrap.

We've seen heavy sections being sold on ebay, but can't figure out any way we can pack and ship... but smaller / lighter parts yes.

Is there anything of a market for used parts from an old '68 Chrysler? The prop is chewed up.. but the cowl is in tact ( worn ).. and we can pull out the guts in pieces as well.

You'll be surprised how many are still using the "anchors"
Being as yours is a 68 and just stopped running, that says a LOT for the anchors. :)

Try advertizing on Craigslist.

It costs nothing to take the carb apart and clean it.
The parts are still avaiable from Franz Marine.

For the 1500$ a new motor costs, you can do a lot of repairs and still have agood running motor.
Rebuild fuel pump, 10$ clean the carb, 10$(gasket).

Do a compression and spark test before you junk it.

I wouldn't mind tinkering with it, but as aging ( not the outboard ) is a factor, it is less likely we want to have to pull to start an engine - so an electric start. Neither my husband nor I work with engines, but we've been able to troubleshoot other mechanical issues and repair.. and I've always been one to tinker.. I have thought of working on the carb and have the service manual downloaded, looked into a Clymer on ebay.. but I know my arm does not start manual engines as it used to!

I'm 69 my wife's 72
In the last year she's started needing help going up and down stairs.
Why because she THOUGHT she was getting old and couldn't do it anymore.
But she can do other things that take the same muscles.
Mind over matter.

I still do the things I did at 35 (that's where my mind stopped getting old).
That's my pep talk for the day, hope I didn't say anything to offend.

Now get it running and you'll be amazed how good it feels.
Look what I did!!! :)

Years ago I always asked my older brother" if I bring my car over will you show me how to fix it??? "
I would and he ended up doing the work.
Then I moved away and I had to "help myself" or pay a bunch of $$
Then I realized I was good at fixing "anything/everything"

Move back home and my brother started asking ME for advice and help fixing things.

I know I'll have to get it out and give it a try.. we do lots of stuff like cut our own firewood, etc, but the pulling arm isn't there anymore! The motor's on a wheeling stand so I can haul it up to the hose.. and hope the old suction works to attach the water hose to try to run it. We've got not a single barrel to run it in! Not sure if the stand will hold while pulling the rope or if it'll have to go on the boat.

Back