Logo

1980 Johnson 4.5 Runs then dies

gcaudle

I have a 1980 Johnson 4.5 model J5RCSS that I got. When I got it it ran great. Then one day one the lake it just lost power and died. If I would choke it, it would start then run for about 30 seconds and die.

Replaced plugs, carb kit and new power pack. Fired right up....runs about 10 minutes then dies. Same story, if I choke it it will start and run about 30 seconds then die again. I am stuck. Any one have any ideas?

Also, I have tried pull starting it so many times now, when I pull the starter the gear goes to engage the flywheel then bows off to the side binding the flywheel. I tightened the bold to secure the recoil tighter to the head but that doesnt help. Any advice there to?:mad:

also, I am getting good water flow so I know its not overheating.

The recoils are not the strongest design here, do you know how to send a picture on this site? You will have to reduce the photo file size to around 1 to 2 K in order to do that. If your model has the remote fuel tank will the motor stay running if you pump the primer bulb?

Check the manual starter parts list in a parts manual... I suspect something's missing as it is impossible for that manual starter gear to "bow off to the side" as you put it. Then you go on to say that you tightened the bolt to secure the starter? That retaining bolt should have been tightened securely to begin with... something's not right with that unit's installation.

The recoils are not the strongest design here, do you know how to send a picture on this site? You will have to reduce the photo file size to around 1 to 2 K in order to do that. If your model has the remote fuel tank will the motor stay running if you pump the primer bulb?

It has an integrated tank, so its gravity fed. I will send a pic of what the recoil is doing later. I agree with the other gentleman's comment, I think something has broken, maybe a bushing in that recoil assembly that causing it to move. I will disassemble and compare to the breakdown.

Sure it is gravity fed.-----But some of those have a wee " bladder " red rubber type pumping element to assist the flow.----Check to see if that is in good shape on yours.

Joe is one wise dude. That bolt should always be tight, so it likely worked loose and broke something, or was AFU to begin with. With gravity feed you will have to look for crap in the tank/ filter screen. It may be almost invisible so check for adequate flow at tank outlet hose, make sure cap vent is working so it's not air locked.

Last edited:
Joe is one wise dude. That bolt should always be tight, so it likely worked loose and broke something, or was AFU to begin with. With gravity feed you will have to look for crap in the tank/ filter screen. It may be almost invisible so check for adequate flow at tank outlet hose, make sure cap vent is working so it's not air locked.

Thanks all.....I will check the fuel bladder, vent cap functionality and filter. Also disassemble the recoil and find out whats missing and report back. Thanks!

Thanks all.....I will check the fuel bladder, vent cap functionality and filter. Also disassemble the recoil and find out whats missing and report back. Thanks!

OK, so I have looked at the fuel cap. I opened the vent all the way up, blew out the 3 holes in the top of the cap, turn it upside doen and put some water in it and water flows out the holes. That would lead me to believe that the cap is not an issue, correct?

Also, I disassembled the rewind starter and checked it against the exploded parts diagram. The 3 bushing in there, one if which was broke, are quite worn. Also the washer in the back is quite reamed out. I have ordered 3 new bushings and a new washer. Otherwise, everything else in there looked good and was present. Should I also grease the inside of it when I reassemble it?

I have also ordered a new fuel bladder for the carb. Once all reassembled and tested I will report back. Thanks again

OK, so I have looked at the fuel cap. I opened the vent all the way up, blew out the 3 holes in the top of the cap, turn it upside doen and put some water in it and water flows out the holes. That would lead me to believe that the cap is not an issue, correct?

Also, I disassembled the rewind starter and checked it against the exploded parts diagram. The 3 bushing in there, one if which was broke, are quite worn. Also the washer in the back is quite reamed out. I have ordered 3 new bushings and a new washer. Otherwise, everything else in there looked good and was present. Should I also grease the inside of it when I reassemble it?

I have also ordered a new fuel bladder for the carb. Once all reassembled and tested I will report back. Thanks again

UPDATE- You guys were spot on. Replaced the washer and bushings in the recoil and it works like a champ. Also replaced the fuel bladder and its running like a sewing machine again. Went to the lake twice this weekend and it ran great for hours. Thank you very much for your help. :cool:

Back