Logo

Simple Question to All

Chuck Guider

Put power head on Ocean Pro v-6, 1997, ready to set timing base, what is the #1 cylinder looking from the stern, Port (top left), Starboard (top right)

I can't believe I couldn't find this anywhere and am asking this question :)

The top cylinder is # 1.-----Or the highest cylinder is always # 1.----Oh well it is the starboard side that has # 1 cylinder I think.

Standing in back of the engine, facing the spark plugs, starboard is right, port is left. Top starboard cylinder is #1.

"Looking from stern" can be deceiving Chuck... depends on which way you're looking. Probably the reason for lack of answers.

Thanks to all, now I have to figure out why it wont' idle, new stator, new timing base, new cdi, new ignition coils. new VRO, didn't want to mess around, will start but can't keep it running, looks like cold start next to test along with something called SLO.

That is a lot of parts to thow at this motor !-----Did this " problem " develop suddenly ?-----Have you done a compression test ?----Post the numbers.

That is a lot of parts to thow at this motor !-----Did this " problem " develop suddenly ?-----Have you done a compression test ?----Post the numbers.
New Powerhead, Compression Good, just firing it up now, runs for like 30 seconds, dies, turn the key fires right back up, little puzzling, have the manual, will recheck wiring and test some safety items.

Compression (With spark plugs removed... What we'd like to have Chuck is the actual psi readings of the individual cylinders. Standing in back of the engine, facing the spark plugs, the cylinders are numbered as:

Spark (Plugs still removed)... Using a air gap tester set to 7/16", the spark should jump that 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame, a real SNAP!... Does it? NOTE that the air gap is important
(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver (#2 I believe) inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark or build the following:

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

This can obviously be modified to a 6 or 8 cylinder setup tester.
Let us know what you find.

NOTE!.... My little entry on post #7

1.....2 <--- Brain fart here

Should have been:

Back