Logo

150 mariner cutting out

Nitro75

My 1996 150 Mariner fires up and dies within 15- 20 seconds. I replaced all fuel lines , primer bulb , fuel pump , filters. I did have my volt regulator go bad and replaced them and ran fine for two trips. Then all the cutting out started. Is one of the coils bad and its miss firing and then dies?

Also this boat doesn't sit I use it 3 or 4 times a month , I took the gas line off coming out of the fuel pump and its squirting a good bit of gas out, so I know it's not fuel issue. Boat been running fine till recently. At first I had to keep it primer to keep it running or it would die, that's when I replace everything, fuel line, primer, pump etc

How many carbs? Since you had to use the primer to keep it running, maybe its one of the carbs. Have you ever cleaned the carbs?

You did a good job of replacing all fuel lines , primer bulb , fuel pump , filters - the next stop is the carbs and then the reed valves. When you run carb cleaner thru them once a year, how do you do that?

No but it seems to over load the carbs , but it does stay running, its a new fuel pump and I checked that, its pumping gas out in a fair amount .

I'm no mechanic so I guess I should shut up; but the engine runs while using the primer bulb and a stop along the way are the carbs. Maybe carbs need cleaned? Maybe other more skilled members of the forum can chime in like FishinLite, mechanicman, fastjeff.

Was rect/reg's OEM or aftermarket? The aftermarket ones($30) I have got lately are crap and they used to work great.

You need to temporarily install a fuel pressure gage and see what you're getting. I suspect the pressure is way too low.

Jeff

Back