Logo

97 Crownline 202 5.7 Mercruser no start

Randy27568

I have a5.7 Mercruser with EFI. Last couple of times out had a no start condition after shutting down when engine was warm. Let boat sit for an hour it will start fine. Last trip out after changing plugs, plug wires, rotor, distributor cap, module was at full throttle and engine popped and stalled now no start at all even after cooled down. Turns over sprayed starter fluid in through air box still no start put on plug tester and have no spark. Could this be the coil? Any help would be awesome tired of throwing parts at it.

is this the engine with the flat top distributor cap? the crap cap, as they are called? if so, the coil/amplifier combo is a likely cause of your problem, i have had several lately and the coil was replaced an dthe boat was back in business.

is this the engine with the flat top distributor cap? the crap cap, as they are called? if so, the coil/amplifier combo is a likely cause of your problem, i have had several lately and the coil was replaced an dthe boat was back in business.

I since replaced the coil but still no luck. It is not the flat top cap. I am going to test the pickup sensor in the distributor next. But thinking it just might be the ECM. I hope not big money there. I also ruled out the dead man switch. Thanks any help would be appreciated

So, you have the tall cap? Not the short mercruiser cap?
Yes, most likely the pick up. . Do not be so quick to condem the ecm. They are made very well and I have not changed many in my years. If you have an ignition. Issue, diagnose the ignition system to the end, then turn your sites to the ecm.
Does the fuel injection system fire?
Is this a tbi system?
What's the serial #

So, you have the tall cap? Not the short mercruiser cap?
Yes, most likely the pick up. . Do not be so quick to condem the ecm. They are made very well and I have not changed many in my years. If you have an ignition. Issue, diagnose the ignition system to the end, then turn your sites to the ecm.
Does the fuel injection system fire?
Is this a tbi system?
What's the serial #

Not sure what tbi system is. The engine serial #ok116213
as far as fuel system I have power to the distributor but no spark at the plug wires. So working that direction first.

TBI, Throttle Body Injection. Looks similar to a Caburator but uses injectors in the body vs rails and injectors at each cylinder.

Classic amplifier module death drama.You can buy the Mercruiser one for about $250 or you can get one on Amazon for about $50. Both are genuine Delco. If that doesn't do the trick, then you start getting into the really expensive parts swapping.

Back