Logo

1969 MC-1 stern drive unit. how do I remove the shift shaft yoke to get the prop shaft to come out?

centerline

Regular Contributor
I have the bearing carrier removed from my early MC-1 lower unit and have the pinion gear removed, but the prop shaft is still "hung" in there by something... it flops around as all but the forward gear is removed and I assume its the shift collar/forks? holding it in..

I dont have a shop manual and I cant find the procedure for the lower gear case disassembly on this model online.... how do I get the shift shaft to come out, or at the very least, how do I get the prop shaft out of it.... thanks...

thank you.... I pulled up on the shift shaft and it allowed the collar to slip by the shift yoke.. turning it did not allow enough room for it to pass by...

yes it has the roller bearings at the lower end of the vert shaft, and they came out when I was trying to wiggle the prop shaft free.....
I now have the case stripped of its internals and have repaired (welded) the skeg and broken anti-cav plate... waiting for new seals to arrive so I can get it going back together....
the prop shaft was bent to .011, so I brought it back to .002... close enough for me.

Last edited:
Back