Logo

Questions re 18hp Evinrude 1964 model

B

Braden Carberry

"Hi all, I have purchased what

"Hi all, I have purchased what I believe to be an 18 hp, 64 evinrude serial #18402D C414595, short shaft tiller. The engine runs like a top, however, there is no water coming out the water outflow which leads me to believe that the pump/impeller is shot. Not so bad considering I spent 50 bucks canadian on the thing and it is otherwise in great shape! My question is: Is the pump/impeller swap an easy swap for someone with moderate mechanical skill? Also, can I run high octane (92) in this motor, and will there be any benefit to using synthetic 2 cycle oil?? I have swapped in new plugs, changed the fuel filter, and lower unit oil, and like I said, the motor purrs, but I need to get this pump going, as I don't want to wreck the thing. The pump is $35 Canadian, but labour is $125! I don't want to spend it If I can do it myself! The motor will be used to power my Lund 1448 john boat for duck season. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Braden
[email protected]"

" Braden; Get A Workshop manua

" Braden; Get A Workshop manual NAPA has them over the counter or go to this home page to the bottom of the page and click on 18 hp. go to the model and order one from here. I would pull the thermostat and check it first, it could be stuck, when you get your manual just follow directions. (Don't get impatient)follow directions and you can handle it. The hardest part is separating the shaft from the powerhead. Make sure you disconnect the shift linkage on the lower unit, it's the oval plate with two screws, remove the plate and gasket, then take the bolt out and separate the linkage, you might have to work the lower unit, first with a screw driver or two across from each other all around, you might have to go to chisles after you get the room, don't force anything, it should be moving all the time, you might have to go to steel wedges after that,hopefully it came apart the first time with the screwdrivers, but if this doesn't work but you have a gap big enough to get a torch to the shaft, put some (some) heat on the shaft and try again. Good Luck!!! "

Back