Logo

Mercruiser 5.7 MPI - Overheated and Now it Won't Crank

bmeining

Hi Folks,

I own a 2003 Centurion Vdrive with mercruiser 5.7 MpI. I've owned this boat for almost 4 years and had little to no trouble with it up to this point. But now i need HELP!

Last week we were the only ones on a private lake so we decided to hot rod the boat a bit as we never get this opportunity! We launched the boat and quickly got the boat up to full throttle. We had been running it for maybe a full minute or possibly less when the warning alarm sounded. I looked down at the guages and the temp gauge was pegged hot. The motor stalled before I even had the chance to shut it down. I let it cool down and then went to restart. The engine would not even crank most tries, it just made a hard clunk and a couple times it cranked maybe a 1/8 revolution? I towed the boat home and still would not turn over the following day. I pulled the belt off and attempted to turn the motor over (clockwise) by hand with no success. I'm planning on ordering a reman engine and installing it myself, but i just don't understand why the motor would at least not crank over after a quick overheat event? All fluids are clean and full and there was no noise prior to it stalling.

Is it possible that there is a problem with the drive that could have caused the overheat and also tied up the motor? I hate to put a motor in this thing and then still have the same problem!

Any input or ideas would be appreciated!!

Bill

Back