Logo

Crusader 8.1 - Alternator Question

matta0413

Contributing Member
My starboard side Alternator is not charging the house bank like it is supposed to. I took the alternator to a shop and had it tested and it tested fine. The batteries have just been replaced and I do not see any errors on the Charles Industries Regulator.I have checked all wiring and fuses, tested with ohm meter. All fine. Any suggestions? I am thinking about just replacing the entire Charles Inds system and putting regular marine 100amp alternators with built in regulators on the boat. Simplify everything. I never drain the batteries. Never on the hook over night always have access to shore power. Do I really need the fancy charging system?

My first guess would be a bad connection somewhere....did you go thru the troubleshoot procedure in the manual?

if yes, then replacement may be the best alternative....a www search shows Charles stopped making their marine products a while ago so service is iffy at best. maybe another external regulator will get you running faster?

I'd think a 100 amp alternator is overkill for most applications....if you do the load calculation and determine that's what you need, then that's the path.

Yes Charles no longer makes any Marine stuff. Really don't want to go through the "External Regulator" thing again. Is there a way to test the "Sense" wire to see if the regulator is telling the alternator to charge?

the 'sense' wire is typically used for regulating the output voltage.....I'd suggest you want to look for a field wire.....and maybe its return....is there is no current passing thru the field winding the alternator won't have any output.....the details will be driven by the specific device(s) you have.....

The voltage may vary....its the current that's critical.....no field current = no flux lines for the rotor to pass thru = no AC induced in the rotor = no output...

MakoMark you were correct again. I had all of the correct voltages but no current on the field wire on the back of the alternator. Started checking all of the grounds and found that on the Balmar alternator that I have there is a jumper wire (about 4-5 inches) that goes from the Alternator Ground terminal to the main ground terminal on the alternator. That Jumper wire was not attached so the current was not flowing to the alternator from the voltage regulator. Made the ground connection and all is well.

Thanks

tnx!!

That lesson was learned back riding motorcycles......had a bad wire (was crushed on a lift) in the harness from the generator (yes, generator) to the regulator.....the voltage 'appeared' to be ok but there was no field current flowing....finally found it when I cut back the 'tubing' and saw the individual wires....

You should be able to get a few extra trips in with the savings from not having a marine electrician paying you a visit..... ;)

Back