Logo

Newer 2010 motor in older boat..

rhays

Good evening,
We picked up a newer 2010 boat that was running with a 5.7 port injected motor with the catalytic converters on it, that the boat hull got wrecked in an accident. The hull and outdrive were both hurt badly, but the motor is fine. We have a 98 searay boat with Mercruiser 5.0 TBI with a cracked block and manifolds that has been sitting. ( plus never have been a fan of the TBI... Is it computer possible to drop the complete newer motor in the older boat an have it run? The newer one has a 14 pin connector on it. I read that there is a harness adapter that will change it over to the older 10 pin, but do not know if that is a actual solution that will work for this. Are there known issues that have to be addressed for any of the sensors due to the Updated exhaust and emissions. The 5.7 is completely dressed with all sensors and computer. Are there any other different sensors that the up front cluster ( horn) has to be able to distinguish. I’m aware of the gear ratio drive difference, but that change will be an easy swap if the motor will actually be able to run in the older boat.. Is this a doable swap?
Thank you for any help or suggestions on this.

If you keep it simple, sure. Put only old stuff on that new block and away you go. The prop will need a few inches more pitch, but it should work with the same outdrive.

Jeff

thank you for the reply,,
what i am wanting to do, is drop the entire dressed 2010 5.7 port injected motor, with the catalytic manifolds complete, into the 98 boat that only had a 5.0 TBI motor in it... Will the 98’s boat wire harness that comes back from the key and instrument panel be compatible to this newer 14 pin harness. There is a plug converter that is show to go from the 10 pin to the 14 pin. The newer 2010 motor has way more sensors and emissions items that the 98...
thank you again for your help and any suggestions.

Take the gauges and wire harness from donor boat and use them and you wont have to spend anything or "convert" anything.
Yes I agree, the ratio for a 5.0 and 5.7 should be the same for the outdrive. 1.47:1 if I remember correctly.

Double check if you can, prop rotations to drive shaft (ujoints) rotations or maybe see if the ratio is on the drive like it should be, side with vent screw,

Last edited:
There's always someone one step ahead:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/cdi-electronics-outboard-parts/catalog/163/

On these CANbus engines, you really have the power to leverage a huge amount of real-time data if you're nerdy that way like I am. You can have a glass cockpit now if you want. I like the idea of having everything on one screen...engine analytics, radar, sounder, chartplotter, entertainment, etc. and now you can get smartphone apps that let you do the monitor/control from your mobile devices. I particularly like the Hamilton Jet thing that lets you control like two or more huge-ass waterjets with a mouse. 10 pin connector, come on!
You can also attach a data logger that will record all your metrics while running. This can help with troubleshooting and maintenance and it's just plain cool.

Last edited:
Very doable swap with adapter harness, keep the new engine bobtail complete and should’ve plug and play.

On the drive ratio likely the 5.0 was a 1.62 ratio vs the1.47 typically seen with a 5.7, likely you may need to go up one prop pitch. I swapped a 4.3 in my Sea Ray for same issue and kept the 1.81 4.3 ratio and just stepped up from a 19 to 21 pitch prop hits proper WOT just fine

Thank you very much for the encouraging words for the swap. I do not have any issues with the physical installation of dropping it in, etc,, But in my area of NC, i just don't see many boats with the Catalytic Manifolds ready to be parted out yet, especially to have a newer motor to go into a older non Catalytic boat. I did see that there is a wiring harness adapter to go either way from 14 pin to 10 or back..
and in looking at the 14 pin harness on the newer motor, it actually only has 8 pins in it that are active.
Thank you again for all your help..

Sir, thank you for the link to the adapters,, this was a big help...
glad not the first to try to do this one..
thank you again..

Back