Logo

90 HP YAMAHA OUTBOARD very slow in reverse! i this normal?

TONYG279

yamaha runs great but goes really slow only in the reverse gear. when given rpms no real change. is this normal? maybe a safety thing?

Mmm, 1st time hearing this. Reply with yr/model. Is throttle lever free/clear when putting into reverse or do you feel resistance?

Lever is free and engages fine, its a 2017 yamaha 4 stroke outboard, i have to pull the lever almost all the way down in order for the boat to move very slow in reverse

If the question relates to the apparent lack of effectiveness when the motor is in reverse, that is completely normal. The propeller is designed so as to be most efficient when in forward. When in reverse, the thrust produced can seem to be extremely lacking.

If someone does a lot of backing up there are propellers designed so that reverse thrust efficiency is improved. Although at the expense of forward thrust.

what got me to noticed is the boat was not like that before, i had to be careful when backing up because of the thrust, but now i almost have to lower the lever all the way down in order for the boat to move very slow in reverse. So i am not sure if this is normal, but what i can tell you, it was not like that before.

Back