Logo

1979 70HP Johnson Outboard Manual Tilt

LucasJohnsn

I have a 1979 70HP Johnson outboard that I just recently picked up a couple months ago. I noticed that it doesn't have a manual tilt/trim locking system on it. I've been looking through the various parts list, but I am not sure what is necessarily required for this assembly. The outboard model is 70EL79R.
Additionally, how necessary is to install an assembly on an outboard as they are known to go missing or break off on older versions? Are there also any aids that I could purchase to help tilt and trim the motor?
I'm fairly new to marine engines and boating in general, I've noticed that the seloc manual doesn't refer to manual trim and tilt systems. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Sounds like the trim / tilt unit was sold off it or it broke.-----They did not put the manual / tilt assist cylinder back in.-----I would first get this motor running and tested out before looking for a trim system.-----Most of them from 70 to 200 HP are the same.--And lots of them available.-------Is there wiring / relays / solenoid with the motor for trim.

Racerone,

Thanks for you quick reply.
The motor runs fine, I have been tinkering with it for the past several months and took it out on several trials all of which I had no problems with it running. I've attached a picture of what my assembly looks like as of right now, and it does appear that something looks broke off. I am unable to determine what I need to purchase for the lock and aid. I noticed under the my model number category that there is a transom exhaust 15" and 20", I believe my is 20" but wasn't entirely certain where to measure. I've also seen in the miscellaneous section under tilt aid kit spring 55--I would assume that it is indicating that the aid is for 55hp outboards, but found it odd in that it was under the same model number of my 70.

I've also attached a picture of what I am looking at.

Tilt.JPG

You have the assist cylinder which is all it came with. The hole in the tilt bracket used to have the trailer lock in it. That would hold the motor up an lock it in place.

Flyingscott,

Okay, so it would appear that I am missing that part which is found here; http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0390963--I would think that is the correct one. In addition to that, It would see that this would be the assembly that I am missing to have the outboard lock down onto the thrust pin:Lock kit.PNG

Are there any modes of an easier way of raising the outboard without power trim/tilt? Like pump of sorts? I've seen handles that latch onto outboards, though, that doesn't seem to reliable, are they?

The assist cylinder is supposed to do that. I would try to find a parts motor anything from 78 to about 1990 will work. Better yet if you can find a factory tilt and trim.

The assist cylinder is supposed to do that. I would try to find a parts motor anything from 78 to about 1990 will work. Better yet if you can find a factory tilt and trim.
Agreed. I used to have a 1978 70HP on a previous boat and that was not fun trying to lift that motor up, either from in the boat or outside.

As Scott said, find a parts motor that has the power tilt/trim assembly in the transom bracket and install that. I did that with my old '78 and I was a much happier boater after that.

Back