Logo

Overheating 3.0 GL can't figure it out.

mltessier

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and to boating. I recently bought a 2005 Four Winns 170 with a 3.0 GL Volvo Penta engin. Before I bought it, I put it on muffs and check compression. Was not able to test drive the boat because of winter conditions up here in Canada. Everything ran fine. Go it home and did the usual maintenance : impeller, oil, filter, etc.
Ran it on muffs and noticed that the temp was high: around 180 so I stopped the engine. Here is what I did afterwards : removed the raw water pump to check impeller (impeller was ok and water does get to the pump), replaced thermostat and housing gasket, back washed for the pump to clear any blockage.
After that I tested it again with the muffs on and temperature was constant at around 170. I dropped the boat in water and started it. Within 3 minutes temperature went sky high and the alarm went off. Stoped the engin right away; engin dieseled for a couple os seconds. After some time I restarted the boat and got to the boat lift and alarm went on again.
Now I would like to know what to check for next? Like I said I'm new at this, but I am mechanically inclined. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Back