Logo

Tamd41 coolant in oil sump

Andrew M

While returning home yesterday arvo my starboard engine suddenly stopped, I was going at about 3,000rpm. So came home on one motor, Today I have a look and no coolant engine oil looked between the 2 marks on the dipstick., I had no coolant so put water in the reservoir , but.. all of the water appears to now be in the sump with the oil, there was also a "gluging" sound as the reservoir drained very quickly., I am in Papua New Guinea so no service or dealers here anymore... I thought of the head gasket, but it seemed to drain to fast. I had noticed that the oil pressure gauge was a little l9wer on that motor the last couple of runs, but not dramatically so....Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

I cannot find any details of an oil collar, I will pull the boat out this afternoon and the motor tomorrow, I am hoping I have not done any drastic damage. I am a carpenter so appreciate greatly any inputs on things that are not my forte.

I think it has een oil cooler but it is rawwater cooled.
That’s the strange thing, if the coolant drains so quickly.
My first thought was also the oil cooler but strange the coolant can’t come in there, only by going trough heat exchanger and flowing back.
So your heat exchanger must leak AND the oil cooler. I sure don,t hope it’s the engine but my gues is the headgasked.
Hope you solve this one and please let us know

I shall indeed keep you informed, I have just finished pulling the boat out (28 Bertram ) but it's 6 pm now so time for a beer as it is getting dark, a good wash tomorrow and then start pulling shafts and motors tomorrow, Props will need to go down to Australia for repairs also. Yes, I thought the oil cooler was seawater cooled, never thought of the heat exchanger at the same time, thanks.. One of the guys here thinks it may be a hole in a piston, hopefully it will become clearer over the next few days,

One good thing about these engines, everything can be replaced.
Valve seat, cilinder liners everything.
One bad thing about these engines, £££ €€€ $$$
good luck and fingers crossed

Ok, motor out and sump off, A hundred pieces of piston..Head off and #1 piston and liner are gone, a lump of piston was wedged against the bent con rod, removed now. I guess a liner and piston kit and a new con rod. The valves seem ok.

A friend in another town told me he had an old tamd41 block and head, I had it sent over but it says on the plate that it is a tamd42 p-a......it looks the same, the old head gasket from mine lines up with all the journal hole aligning... would you know what the difference is between these 2 models , from Mr Google it says the 42p is 230hp and the 41 is 200hp

Sorry,,,not a tamd 42p-a kamd 42p-a

a friend in another town told me he had an old tamd41 block and head, i had it sent over but it says on the plate that it is a tamd42 p-a......it looks the same, the old head gasket from mine lines up with all the journal hole aligning... Would you know what the difference is between these 2 models , from mr google it says the 42p is 230hp and the 41 is 200hp

Back