Logo

Tamd41 coolant in oil sump

Andrew M

While returning home yesterday arvo my starboard engine suddenly stopped, I was going at about 3,000rpm. So came home on one motor, Today I have a look and no coolant engine oil looked between the 2 marks on the dipstick., I had no coolant so put water in the reservoir , but.. all of the water appears to now be in the sump with the oil, there was also a "gluging" sound as the reservoir drained very quickly., I am in Papua New Guinea so no service or dealers here anymore... I thought of the head gasket, but it seemed to drain to fast. I had noticed that the oil pressure gauge was a little l9wer on that motor the last couple of runs, but not dramatically so....Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Might consider the oil cooler as a possible. If you can get a automotive rad tester compatible with your rad cap then a pressure test and trace with soap might show a leak, but if the leak is internal maybe you could hear the leaking sound. Which series 41 do you have? The earlier A and B models have the metal tank and the P models have the plastic tank and rubber hoses, so not sure if the plastic can handle too much pressure. The other place to check afterwards might be the turbo. You could disconnect the return line to the pan and add water or pressurize with the rad tester and check for it there. Hopefully the leak presents while the engine is cold. If the engine is running and at temp then it will be harder to detect the leak especially if it turns out to be the head gasket or worse like a water jacket crack. The tester idea will not work if the system cannot hold some coolant because some air compression has to happen.

Thank you so much for your reply, I will be trying the above this morning,. I have the plastic tank and rubber hoses model.... I could hear a leaking sound , a a gulping on gluging sound as the plastic tank drained quickly into the sump but couldn't isolate where it originated..

Ok, motor out and sump off, A hundred pieces of piston..Head off and #1 piston and liner are gone, a lump of piston was wedged against the bent con rod, removed now. I guess a liner and piston kit and a new con rod. The valves seem ok.
sorry I seem to have started 2 threads the same

A friend in another town told me he had an old tamd41 block and head, I had it sent over but it says on the plate that it is a tamd42 p-a......it looks the same, the old head gasket from mine lines up with all the journal hole aligning... would you know what the difference is between these 2 models , from Mr Google it says the 42p is 230hp and the 41 is 200hp

Sorry kamd42p-a......
a friend in another town told me he had an old tamd41 block and head, i had it sent over but it says on the plate that it is a tamd42 p-a......it looks the same, the old head gasket from mine lines up with all the journal hole aligning... Would you know what the difference is between these 2 models , from mr google it says the 42p is 230hp and the 41 is 200hp

Back