Logo

Need help with Honda Outboard BF75 (7.5 hp)????? (Possible Serial number, no ID Plate).

iraqvet13f

Got a FreeBee Honda outboard, but it has NO ID plate anywhere on it... BUT.. engraved on the front side of the engine block it is engraved as follows...

BF75L, or I..hard to read it... also what looks like a serial number to the right of BF75....1300486.

Trying to figure out what year this outboard is, so I can order some parts.

from what I could find, this outboard is considered to be a “Portable” motor.. but that’s all I could find, because I don’t know the year, and serial number

also, any online parts sites for these old motors..

all help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Looks like it's listed as the third one down on the list in the link below.
Not to worry too much about total accuracy of model numbers for getting parts as most of the pre 97 outboards share most things unless you're looking at the difference between a long and short shaft where physical length will need to match. Of course, you will have to stay in the same horsepower range. Although, the BF 100 and BF 7.5 do have many interchangeable parts too.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/outboard-by-hp-serial-range/7-5hp

Boats.net carries all the parts that are still available from Honda for these at a much better price than you'll typically find at the dealership.
Many parts still available but some critical parts, like points, condensers and CDI boxes are "obsolete" and "work arounds" would have to be substituted for new replacements.

Many, many, many of these old girls still out there working away along with a still fairly generous supply of parts motors lying around in various states of disrepair and completeness.

Also, the shop manual for these is readily available at Amazon, and other o line sources. Used manuals pop up on Craigslist and Ebay from time to time as well.

Good luck bringing her back to life.

jgmo.. excellent! Well I wasn’t sure IF the numbers engraved / stamped on the power head were the actual model and serial number... I had suspicion it was.... thank you for the quick reply and your help!!!!

i will be running compression test and spark test today, and see what I got going on... then order parts as I see fit!

Thanks again for your help!!!!

Iraqvet,
You're very welcome and THANK YOU for your SERVICE to our country!

You are getting started as everyone should with a "new to you" outboard. Doing a compression test up front gives you a good baseline for making plans on how to proceed with the process.

In order NOT to stress the ignition coil and possibly damage it, you shouldn't crank the engine unless the kill button is being depressed or you have provided a separate ground for the coil primary shut down while you have the plugs removed for the compression test. Or, just remove the primary positive wire making sure that you won't touch it. It can have around 100v ac cranking and will give you a zap!

Compression for a NEW 7.5 engine is listed at: 142 p.s.i. (10.0 kg/cm squared) but you won't see that with a well used engine. 125psi I would consider pretty optimal and they will run ok at around 100. A healthy used engine will have both cylinders reading the same compression.

For best results use only NKG DR-5HS
The alternate "hotter" plug would be the NGK DR-4HS as per the shop manual.
I'm sure most Honda "guys" will tell you to avoid the Denso spark plugs.

If you don't have a manual yet and need specifications, I will look them up for you if you ask.

Have fun with your new BABY!

Last edited:
Good motor and it looks like it is the CDI version which is good as well.
It is very hard to check the spark on those motors.
You need to be in almost total darkness to see the spark.

If you have running problems there's a good chance it will be the carb from sitting.
The carbs are fussy to clean. Most people when first trying to clean them (myself included) need several attempts to get it right.

Back