Logo

Faint buzzer while driving

AdmiralSteve

I took my 130hp merc out today and noticed the buzzer was trying to sound when clicking the trim up or down. As I was trolling I throttled up to 2,000rpm and noticed my buzzer was trying to chime in. Faint solid alarm trying to be heard. It was a steady alarm. It was in and out at times. It went away with the bilge pump on or anchor lights on. But came back when nothing was switched. I thought it may be my oil tank sensor but that appears to be full. At idle nothing. Trolling I get it trying to come through and then throttled up sometimes makes it go away.

Try unplugging each sensor, one by one to determine which is creating the signal. If it keeps doing the same thing we can begin diagnosis with your multimeter. Continuity varies as sensors are manipulated by either heat, pressure, or even conduction. I have one that senses water level in a tank by a slight change in conductivity, it has failed twice, however, in 40 years.

A over rev sensor? Where would that be? I feel like that could do it just from the way it’s acting. As I give it just a little throttle the alarm gets louder. So just at idle it’s fine. Then creeps up with the throttle

135L
I disconnected the tan wire with no luck and also the tabs with blue stripe. As soon as I started the boat I jumped the throttle up and get the alarm “trying to buzz”. It’s constant but varies is volume. I was sure it was the temp alarm just because it tends to run hot when idling. But that doesn’t seem to be the case. The over rev sensor may be it still although I noticed after 5 mins the alarm was buzzing even at a idle. So I’m just clueless. Couldn’t just beep normal, has to be a issue.
is there a oil pressure sensor that could be showing it’s on it’s way out?

Last edited:
Still have no clue what would make this buzzer come on in the way it does. Starts fine and then the buzzer barely can be heard trying to sound. But as time goes on the leaving the dock it starts to scream. I disconnected the buzzer and putted around the lake for a bit. Almost to the point of which I am ready for it to just blow up. But it’s was fine

Back