Logo

Merc 165 bogging when hot

Jeremypc516

Hello. Ive read through a few of these already to try and find an answer for my problems and of course everyone’s situation is different. I have a 1988 (87) mercruiser 165 4cyl that has been running good and bad and it’s driving me crazy. I had it in the water a few weeks ago for the first time, ran great but after a while it would bogg down at full throttle and shut off and take a while to start back up. I pulled it out of the water to do the bottom paint and whatever else, at that time i rebuilt the carb and did every adjustment the carb kit told me to do. Put the boat back in the water and now after idling around the harbor, for 10-15 minutes it shut off on me. I could start it back up but it would bogg down as soon as i give it throttle, wether in gear or not and shut rite off. The choke is open all the way but it kind of seems like it could be flooding. Accelerator pump is pumping fuel, compression on all cylinders are good. Has new points and condensors, new plugs and plug wires, new fuel filter, and new coil. Please help. Thank you!

Check the sight tube, running from the fuel pump up to the carb.....it should be soft and yellow....if its brown and hard, it should be replaced.

There should be no fuel in it....if the pump diaphragm ruptured, it will carry the fuel up to the carb and will give you a flooding condition....

the only other thing that comes to mind is crud in the fuel blocking the screen or crud in the anti-syphon valve...both will restrict fuel..

I replaced the tube a while ago because it was brown and hard but i havent checked to see if there’s any fuel. Ill have to check later. The screen was clean/new when I rebuilt the carb, ill have to check the anti siphon valve as well and ill let you know what happens. Thanks.

Check distributor shaft for side to side play when fully warmed up.
Distributor is on an angle and the housing bushings wear out and the points wont stay at proper gap.

How hot is hot??

Ill have to check that out. I think my distributor is bad because i replaced the cap and it was hitting slightly so i just put the old cap back on. And hot as in warmed up, water temp never got over 150

Okay so i took the boat out the other day, when i was just pulling out of my slip the boat bogged down and shut off, i pulled the cover and noticed the electric choke was shut, thats why it bogged down. Theres one problem solved. The boat ran great for a while, once i putted around for maybe half hour i noticed the oil pressure was around 40 and the gauge was bouncing back and forth from 20-40 and i gave it throttle for ****s and giggles and the engine bogged down. What does it mean when i loose power when the oil pressure goes down? This apparently seems to be my problem

Back