Logo

Rebuilt engine wont start

mhf2467

I just got done rebuilding my engine and it wont fire. The engine is a 2014 Marine Power 5.7 MPI paired with a volvo SX-M duoprop outdrive. The start engages the motor turns over but wont fire. It has spark and fuel. I hooked up the diagnostic computer and it did throw one code for Electronic Throttle control actuation fault. Not sure what that means but will look it up in code manual. Anyone have any ideas? Last motor I rebuilt did not have all the electronic stuff so I not sure where to start.
I did check the high and low pressure fuel pumps and each is functioning. I also tried adjusting the timing a little in each direction but that didn't work.

Thanks,
Matt

When you install a SBC ignition distributor, the crankshaft should position the #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke.
Keep in mind that TDC comes around twice during 4 engine cycles......... so make sure that you are on the C/S only.

As you drop the ignition distributor in place, aim the rotor towards the physical location of #1 cylinder.
Now index the spark plug cables into the cap according to the SBC firing order.

FYI..... when adjusting your cam followers (what some call adjusting valves), I will suggest that you use the 8 stop static procedure.... not the 2 or 3 stop!
Start with #1 piston @ TDC C/S.
Begin with ZERO lash, and adjust the cam follower plunger depths for both intake and exhaust.
Turn the crankshaft 90* and adjust the #8 cylinder cam follower plunger depths for both intake and exhaust.
Do this right on down the firing order.
This method is much more accurate.

Back