Logo

BF90 starts perfect in driveway, troubles starting at the ramp.

eli_aus

Hey Guys,
Having troubles diagnosing some starting issues (BF90 4 stroke 1999). When I get to the ramp (nearby to me) in the water it sputters and won't turn over and smokes a little. If I pull it out and put on earmuffs after some more sputtering and persistence (almost like clearing a flooding) it will eventually turn over and runs great - I can then put it back in the water and it runs fine in gear and at idle. On any other day if I start it in the driveway with earmuffs it starts first go and runs fine, but if I try to start it at the ramp cold it won't happen.

I thought it was tank breather hose and an overfull tank but I full proofed the hose and the tank is now not full and it's continuing to happen.

This has been happening since I purchased it recently - Marine mechanic very recently did a carbi rebuild and replaced parts - spark plugs, oil/fuel filter(s), water separator filter, impeller. Compression was good. I also added a duel battery setup and re-did electronics, not sure if that could be related?

Please help, any ideas are very much appreciated. :cool:

Back