Logo

Bad water separator

geardaddy737

My 40 Hp 2 cycle Yahama ( 40TLRY) stalls under a long. It will run fine for about 2 min when first starting then will stall out under a load. I changed the water separator filter and it still does same thing. I bypass the filter and the engine runs fine .

Should I just buy a new water separator unit, or am I able to fix this one. I am wondering if it is sucking in air from one of the connections .

thank for any help that is giving .

I am wondering if I should just buy a new water separator unit. They are about 60 dollars. Do they go bad? I am not sure what inside of them can go bad .

to edit above post. It stalls under a load. :)

What is leading you to believe this issue is caused by water in fuel? Sounds fuel system issue, not filter related issue.

When I bypass the water separator the motor runs perfect

I have changed the water filter, and empty out the old one. For now I am running it without a water separator.

which brings to the next question, how important is a water separator

they typically don't "fail" unless they are abused and then they may crack.

Its you initial filter....so its important ....I'd be inclined to rebuild the fuel pump first...

Aside from the filtering mechanism itself, the water separator shud not be a cause of fuel starvation. It's simply a reservior. But it sounds like you've isolated the separator as the issue. Only 2 possible reason I can think of, both human errors. The wrong size filter or you mistakenly connected the outlet fuel hose to the inlet filter.

Thanks

it is neither of two, but I will reconnect the water separator and see if it works. I did replace the squeeze ball that the marina replaced last year. I think everything the marina did was half ass. I am now thinking even the squeeze ball they put on went bad.

Back