Logo

Distributor module 1996 4.3 GS

mpt

Contributing Member
Are all modules on the distributor the same for EST type of spark advance systems? Chevy S10, Volvo Penta? I'm thinking about replacing mine because as I wrote before- my rpm/timing doesn't change when I apply shunt cord to the back of the distributor when I'm adjusting the timing! It use to before!

USCG regs require special marine explosion proof electrics in engine compartment. Furthermore, unlikely S10 truck advance same as marine.

I've checked prices for the Volvo Penta module part #3854003 and they range from $25 to $200???? are they all the same dang part??

In addition to "ignition source protection" (USCG requirement), the automotive ignition advance curves and the Marine engine ignition advance curves are NOT the same.

So if the Volvo Penta module is part #3854003 and they range from $25 to $200???? are they all the same dang part??

Very often, prices are going to be all over the place on boat parts. Looks like a new "aftermarket" one that MAY work is $25. They claim to be for marine use. but they are very light on detail. Used OEM ones are a bit more. You are paying more for the fact that it IS the Volvo Penta OEM replacement, even though it's used. Obviously the best is always NOS (New Old Stock), but that will most always cost you the most. NOS VP parts are gold in many cases.

Back