Logo

Yamaha 40 EFI Outboard Manufacturer

RickM46

Regular Contributor
Hello folks, I am considering re-powering my pontoon with a Yamaha 40 or 50 EFI. Does anyone know if Yamaha makes that engine or does some other company make it?
I bought a Tohatsu 9.8 a few years ago and found that Tohatsu makes the Merc and Yamaha 9.9; ergo my question.

Honda makes motors for Tohatsu today.

As far as I know today, if you get a Yamaha branded F40 or F50 it will have been assembled in Japan by Yamaha. Assembled from many parts, some of which are made by other companies.

Thanks boscoe; I noticed way back in the 1996 that Merc was making a 9.9 and branding some as a Yamahas; removed the covers and the blocks were identical. Just curious.
I think there is cross manufacturing done on some of the brands. I get the idea that engines produced with the Honda and Evinrude brands are truly made by those companies.

Last edited:
Thanks boscoe; I noticed way back in the 1996 that Merc was making a 9.9 and branding some as a Yamahas; removed the covers and the blocks were identical. Just curious.
I think there is cross manufacturing done on some of the brands. I get the idea that engines produced with the Honda and Evinrude brands are truly made by those companies.

My understanding is that it mostly worked the other way around. Yamaha was making motors for Mercury Marine. Until they had a falling out. Perhaps they have kissed and made up and are working together again. It would not surprise me.

Wow, looks like one ought to question who the real manufacturer is; who knew??? How is one to find out who the manufacturer is?

Does it really matter? Well, I guess not since cross branding and common parts are alive in the outboard world; however, just curious since I am the one paying for the motor. My 9.8 Tohatsu is labelled as made in Japan. Wouldn't bother me a bit if I drove my new Ford home and discovered that it was really a Chevy.;)

Answered my own question by searching the internet:
Yamaha - 2 plants in Japan, one in France, one in Brazil.
Merc - 40, 50, 60hp in China.
Merc - less than 30hp by Tohatsu in Japan.
Merc - over 75hp in USA.

Here is one example apart of many others part no 67F-11181-01-00 for 115hp TJRA Yamaha and part no 8041151 for Mercury Saltwater 115hp EFI EXLPT Cylinder head gaskets are one and the same thing :)

Last edited:
Here is one example apart of many others part no 67F-11181-01-00 for 115hp TJRA Yamaha and part no 8041151 for Mercury Saltwater 115hp EFI EXLPT Cylinder head gaskets are one and the same thing :)

Yamaha and Mercury shared a partnership with respect to producing motors. Most were made by Yamaha and then painted black and sold by Mercury. Referred to as Mercaha's or Yamamerc's.

Just know that if a Yam is purchased from there, and the owner resides in the USA, the motor will not have any warranty. Many Yam US dealers won't work on it if needed.

Back