Logo

Duo Prop Lower case

Windy Bay

Contributing Member
Are all DP lower gear cases inter changeable? I am restoring a 1980 boat and am now at the engine/outdrive. I purchased a dp-d1 complete drive. The lower gear case has quite a bit of corrosion. I have a spare lower gear case that I would like to put the mechanical parts into. It is from an earlier DP drive and I need to know if the case would work? Also, Is there alot of parts that are interchangeable between a dp-c and the dp-s?

You will be looking at anywhere from 7 to 10 hours of set up time if you were to change gear cases. If any bearings need to be replaced, you can easily add another $500 to that.
I would suggest that you build one of my puller tools and pull the prop shaft and bearing carrier out and take a look inside.

No...... the AQ series Duo Prop and the later Gimbal system DP-S are not interchangeable.

Rick, Sorry my bad. The new to me drive is a dp-d1. This one http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7749309-44-10821.aspx. I am putting a strokker in the boat I am fixing up and went with a 1.78 gear ratio. The new to me drive has oil in it (kinda dirty) and the lower seal is holding. Will the aq duo prop case work? I kinda figured it would take a few hours to check this thing out, but it shifts nice, and rotates nice. the lower gear case is still in one piece. The boat it was in was lift in the water in the puget sound, and there are some places in the transom shield, and the lower gear case that are ugly, (to me) but usable. I will get some pictures and link them here later

Rick, Sorry my bad. The new to me drive is a dp-d1. This one http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7749309-44-10821.aspx.
That corrosion is nasty. I would not trust any of the aluminum cases.

I am putting a strokker in the boat
Hopefully you did NOT use the GM Full Dished pistons! :mad:

I am fixing up and went with a 1.78 gear ratio.
That would be great for a properly built 6.3L SBC (aka 383 cu in).

The new to me drive has oil in it (kinda dirty) and the lower seal is holding. Will the aq duo prop case work?
I'm not following you! The DP-D1 is an AQ series drive.
Which gear case are you asking about?

I kinda figured it would take a few hours to check this thing out, but it shifts nice, and rotates nice.
Even a bad AQ series drive will shift smoothly while static.
This is because the only components being operated are the shift shoe and the sliding sleeve.

the lower gear case is still in one piece.
The one shown is very badly corroded.

The boat it was in was lift in the water in the puget sound, and there are some places in the transom shield, and the lower gear case that are ugly, (to me) but usable.
Like said, I would not trust those aluminum cases.
Salt Water and Galvanic Corrosion is strange..... it takes no certain path, and is pretty much unpredictable.

Back