Logo

Dynastart (charger + start motor), measuring pole potentials?

Vire12-4ever

Hi!

When I have Dynastart separated from engine (no wires connected), and i measure potential of the poles (DF, D+, D- and 30), I notice they are all grounded i.e. there's no resistance (or very small resistance) between poles and earth. As I'm not expert in electrics, not am I sure of Dynastart's interternal connection, I ask: Does that mean there's something wrong inside the Dynastart? The measuring device is a $10 universal electrical meter.

I'm a bit amazed you have one of those on a boat of some type.

I'd bet you are NOT measuring potential but resistance....depending upon what else is connected, seeing low resistance between the terminals is not unusual.

Best to poke around on the internet and find out more details before making a diagnosis...

Vire 12 boat engine sports Dynastart, example: https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTE5NVgxNjAw/z/iDsAAOSwAy5atSMN/$/Dynastart-NEW-dynostart-bosch-fits-Vire-6-7-12-_1.jpg

Yeah, I'm measuring resistance. My electrics knowledge are so much limited, that in my world "if there's no resistance between two nodes, they are in same potential"...

As I mentioned, nothing is connected.

Back