Logo

Omc vs mercruiser

Jtaylor28752

Just wondering if anyone can answer if i could take a 4.3 mercruiser and swap it into my boat that already has the omc in it that needs a new motor? All my external parts are good i really just need to reuse the block but if i dont have to swap over the intake and heads I'd be happy

Ayuh,...... Only the Long Blocks are the same,.....

So strip the merc down to the Long Block, 'n redress it with the OMC accessories,.....

Just wondering if anyone can answer if i could take a 4.3 mercruiser and swap it into my boat that already has the omc in it that needs a new motor? All my external parts are good i really just need to reuse the block but if i dont have to swap over the intake and heads I'd be happy

Bill is dead on. "strip the merc down to the Long Block, 'n redress it with the OMC accessories,....."

By the way..... this is an engine, not a motor!
Motors are electric, hydraulic, pneumatic, etc.

Re: Omc motor mounts

Ricardo,
I am new to this forum and you seem to be prolific so I am addressing this to you but please, anyone with an answer, I a, all ears.
I have a 1988 WELLCRAFT 180 CLAssic. It is an omc 4.3 Cobra. My issue is the front motor mounts as they seem to have broken through the fiberglass mounts and dropped apprx 1 incch especially the right side looking back at engine. Any ideas as to a repair?
Any info much appreciated. Thank you

Pull the drive , pull the engine , cut open the stringers and rebuild the engine bed

I realize I need to pull the engine however I have not seen the condition of the stringer as covered by fiberglass. Can I fabricate a metal cover for the stringer area OVER the existing fiberglass covering top, end and sides of stringer appro. 18" in overall length, bolt through the stringer from side to side and remount. I realize I will need to check stringer integrity but would eliminate total removal of all area under and sides of engine.
Not sure the boat is worth it even though only has 265 hrs total and otherwise in very good condition. The metal cap would be either stainless or powder coated and 3/16 to 1/4 in thickness. I think I can modify the front mts so as to keep engine level or in same as original position.
Thank you for quick response.

Ricardo,
I am new to this forum and you seem to be prolific so I am addressing this to you but please, anyone with an answer, I a, all ears.
I have a 1988 WELLCRAFT 180 CLAssic. It is an omc 4.3 Cobra. My issue is the front motor mounts as they seem to have broken through the fiberglass mounts and dropped apprx 1 incch especially the right side looking back at engine. Any ideas as to a repair?
Any info much appreciated. Thank you

A proper repair will involve pulling the engine and rebuilding the stringers.
Cut the tops open ONLY..... DO NOT remove the entire stringer encasement.
Dig out the bad core material and replace it with new.
Fill all voids with chopped glass and resin.
Glass over the top area.

I realize I need to pull the engine however I have not seen the condition of the stringer as covered by fiberglass. Can I fabricate a metal cover for the stringer area OVER the existing fiberglass covering top, end and sides of stringer appro. 18" in overall length, bolt through the stringer from side to side and remount. I realize I will need to check stringer integrity but would eliminate total removal of all area under and sides of engine.
Not sure the boat is worth it even though only has 265 hrs total and otherwise in very good condition. The metal cap would be either stainless or powder coated and 3/16 to 1/4 in thickness. I think I can modify the front mts so as to keep engine level or in same as original position.
Thank you for quick response.

Fabrication and using a piece of metal will only mask the real issue. It won't be all that difficult to replace the stringer cores.

Don't forget that when you're finished and are going back together, you will need to perform the engine drive coupler alignment procedure.

A proper repair will involve pulling the engine and rebuilding the stringers.
Cut the tops open ONLY..... DO NOT remove the entire stringer encasement.
Dig out the bad core material and replace it with new.
Fill all voids with chopped glass and resin.
Glass over the top area.

Fabrication and using a piece of metal will only mask the real issue. It won't be all that difficult to replace the stringer cores.

Don't forget that when you're finished and are going back together, you will need to perform the engine drive coupler alignment procedure.
Thank you for your quick response. I will get the engine out this week and take a good look to access the damage to the internal portions as you suggested. I will get back to you with findings. And yes, I have been made aware of the importance of proper alignment. Have a great week and thanks to those who responded.

Back