Logo

1988 mercury classic 50

Kwc

I have a 1988 mercury classic 50 runs amazing with muffs on setting in driveway, idles and accelerates like should.
When I put in at lake has trouble starting, will I'd ln e once started with cold idle up, when put in gear dies or acts like struggling for fuel, if he does not die only gets up to bout 2500 rpms.

It only sounds amazing to the untrained ear.-----It will sound good on 2 of 4 cylinders on a hose..-----I am not there so post your compression numbers.-----Look for spark jumping a gap of 3/8" on a test device.

Muffs will get you close, you need the backpressure in a tank or on the water, to fine tune. As Jeff mentioned try the mixture screw, I always find tune around 2000 rpm in neutral in the tank. Also may have to set idle rpms a little higher than original spec to keep it idling in gear, but that's an age issue.

It only sounds amazing to the untrained ear.-----It will sound good on 2 of 4 cylinders on a hose..-----I am not there so post your compression numbers.-----Look for spark jumping a gap of 3/8" on a test device.

Compression 141 150 152 148

Back