Logo

Honda 200HP Outboard Sputter

justinelia

Here is my situation: I have a 200HP Honda 4 stroke and a kicker 9.9HP Honda 4 stroke outboard engine. On initial start up of the 200HP motor, all is fine. It fires up right away, and there are no issues. I use this outboard to get to and from fishing locations on the great lakes. The kicker is then fired up and trolled with at idle speed for trolling purposes. When I am finished trolling, and start up the 200HP engine, it begins to sputter slightly. As I accelerate, it gets punchy as if maybe air is getting into the fuel or something is affecting the flow of gasoline. This sputter happens for approximately 2 or 3 minutes of being on plane and then dissappears. Does any one know what the issue could be?

Thanks!

As a note, each motor is directly fed from its own fuel line into the tank.

Are you allowing the motor to warm up to operating temp or is it start and go? That's all I got, shouldn't be a fuel issue with separate lines.

How long do you troll for? Could be vapour lock, check the hoses to the fuel cooler for kinks and the cooler for blockage.

Do these have separate fuel filters/water separators as well? It seems like there is a fuel pressure issue which could relate to vapor lock.

Also what if you went out and did not use the kicker—-just let the 200 sit without any usage and fire it up again? In other words are you sure using the kicker is the start of the problem or does the 200 not like the restart?

Tikitech is correct. These old girls get cranky until they warm up. Plus, it's much better on the engine for them to get warmed up before accelerating. So when you're pulling your lines, crank it up and let it idle for at least 5 minutes before you move out.

Are you allowing the motor to warm up to operating temp or is it start and go? That's all I got, shouldn't be a fuel issue with separate lines.

On both start ups, I warm up the 200 with a touch of throttle in neutral as well as priming until the ball is tight.

Do these have separate fuel filters/water separators as well? It seems like there is a fuel pressure issue which could relate to vapor lock.

Also what if you went out and did not use the kicker—-just let the 200 sit without any usage and fire it up again? In other words are you sure using the kicker is the start of the problem or does the 200 not like the restart?

The 200 has its own internal water separator but no in line separator. I have not tried the re start but I'll give it a try. If it doesn't like the restart, what could the issues be?

Tikitech is correct. These old girls get cranky until they warm up. Plus, it's much better on the engine for them to get warmed up before accelerating. So when you're pulling your lines, crank it up and let it idle for at least 5 minutes before you move out.

I'll give that a try as well! Thanks!

Have you drained and cleaned the on-board separator?
Have you drained the VST? It's possible that there is some resident water in there. Instructions are in the owner's manual. (BTW - 2 or 3 minutes run time is about the amount of time the engine will run on the amount of fuel that sits in the VST.)
When was the last time you replaced the high pressure fuel filter? These engines are exceptionally sensitive to a clogged HP fuel filter.

Other possibilities...

* Vapor lock as Ian suggested. So check water flow through the cooler jacket on the VST.
* Flow restriction in the fuel lines. Especially check where the fuel line goes into and exits from the big black grommet on the front of the engine - the one that the shift and throttle cables go through.

One other thing. I always recommend that an external fuel/water separator be installed. It catches almost all water and gunk before it gets to your engine. Be sure to install it in an easily accessible area and drain it regularly.

One other thing. I always recommend that an external fuel/water separator be installed. It catches almost all water and gunk before it gets to your engine. Be sure to install it in an easily accessible area and drain it regularly.

I have two separate fuel lines coming from the tank. What fuel separator would you recommend and is there one that can run both lines in and out of the separator so only one is needed?

Have you drained and cleaned the on-board separator?
Have you drained the VST? It's possible that there is some resident water in there. Instructions are in the owner's manual. (BTW - 2 or 3 minutes run time is about the amount of time the engine will run on the amount of fuel that sits in the VST.)
When was the last time you replaced the high pressure fuel filter? These engines are exceptionally sensitive to a clogged HP fuel filter.

Other possibilities...

* Vapor lock as Ian suggested. So check water flow through the cooler jacket on the VST.
* Flow restriction in the fuel lines. Especially check where the fuel line goes into and exits from the big black grommet on the front of the engine - the one that the shift and throttle cables go through.

I will check all of the above.

It's been years since I installed my last one. I don't think they come with the 1/4" fittings. I could be wrong about that. Best to ask from whoever you order it from. Overtons, West Marine, Jamestown Distributors, etc. Also, most any local boat dealer should also carry them, but typically much more expensive.

Back