Logo

2006 Honda 15 stalling

finlander

Contributing Member
I am looking to sell my boat motor trailer. Honda has run twice this year but not in the water and not for any length of time. Last time was May 1 until today. I put fresh gas and Stabil but won’t stay running. I twisted the throttle and it immediately stalled. Started fine before today. Someone told be today Stabil is no longer the preferred treatment. Ethanol percentages have increased in the past few years. He suggested a Star Brite additive. Maybe some Sea Foam as well. Can the carb get glazed in two months? Thanks for your input. the Finn

Do what Ian says....then remove the "fuel chamber" (item 2 in the link below) and shake out ALL the liquid inside. Be very careful taking it off and putting it back on so that you don't accidentally snap off your oil dipstick tube.

The fuel chamber can hold water and cause starting and running issues. It should be removed and drained periodically.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/outboard-by-hp-serial-range/15hp/bf15d6-shta-2006/fuel-pump

Good luck and let us know if you get her running.

One man said use Star Brite Enzime additive. Guud reviews on Amazon. Been around a while. One said he’d been using it close to 20 years. A mechanic said to open the drain screw on cedar and squeeze fuel line bulb to flush bowl out. Water is said to collect there. Will try today in the sunshine. If it runs I’d want to take it out n not sell her/him/boat.

One man said use Star Brite Enzime additive. Guud reviews on Amazon. Been around a while. One said he’d been using it close to 20 years. A mechanic said to open the drain screw on cedar and squeeze fuel line bulb to flush bowl out. Water is said to collect there. Will try today in the sunshine. If it runs I’d want to take it out n not sell her/him/boat.
What is the hex size in the lil bolts holding the side cowling/cover on? 4mm was loose and 4.5mm was too big. I would think Honda would be metric.

Squeezed the bulb and sent new gas thru. So exciting. Big bulb/water is off and shook hatevee fluid was in there, out. It is drying now. Pulling plugs next to inspect. I have had that big water catcher off b4 but it has been a while.

I was told to leave fuel in the motor over the winter. Don’t run it dry.
That was 10 years ago. What does the ownership these days?

I think they were originally Phillips head screws. Hard to loosen without using an impact driver sometimes or else you booger up the screw.

Someone probably replaced them with the hex heads. They maybe even tapped the holes for fractional threads. Try using small fractional size socket to see if that works.

There's also some offbeat metric stuff that I've seen but I'm not familiar with that junk at all.

Good luck.

Although, 11/64" is 4.366mm and that's not a standard size. Maybe some sort of aircraft machinist tinkering???

You shouldn't leave fuel in the carb for more than two or three weeks. For storage you should unplug the fuel line and idle until engine stalls THEN, drain the remainder of any fuel left in the float chamber to store COMPLETELY DRY.

Today's formulated fuel left in over the winter will cause you problems in the spring.

Put it all back together and touched start button and it wanted to go but just not yet. How much fuel do I need to push thru carb when flushing old gas out?

Went back out and tweaked the lil tiny screw on the carb and it fired right up.
Runs like new. Takes a load and doesn’t stall. The old man wins again.
Very importanat to win. Thanks for all your help. Man’s friend wanted to get a compression test done before his friend bought the boat. I’ll video the motor running today and send it to him. Again, I so appreciate you help fellas.

I don't know for sure but you may be talking about the idle mixture set screw. Although, it should never need adjustment if properly set and it should have a DNFW anti-tamper cap glued over it to keep screw twister types from messing with it.

Glad you got her going though.

Seems rougher now than before. Going to try and adjust it while it is purring.
Shot a video from the port side and saw the tell tale stream flickering. I’ll sea
if it purrs better. I don’t remember a cap on that screw. But I don’t remember
much these days. It hurts to. ( no matter what the vows and license said.

Boat sold today so it’s over. Fun 13 years. Two best days are the day you buy and the day you sell your boat. Yup. I agree.

Back