Logo

Engine Idles But Dies When Throttle Applied

Chessie

Not the way I wanted to start my Independence Day vacation... I have a 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342 with twin Volvo Penta 5.7s with fuel injection. My starboard engine runs fine but my port engine is giving me fits.

It starts and idles fine, but as soon as throttle is applied, is sputters, pops, and dies. It seems to be going lean. I replaced the fuel pump and filter, the injectors, and the spark plugs. I cleaned the distributer cap, and even swapped the computer with the starboard engine. Nothing worked, but it does seem to idle better. I even thought about water in the fuel but the starboard engine and generator run fine.

I'm at a loss about what it could be. Any ideas?

Not the way I wanted to start my Independence Day vacation... I have a 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342 with twin Volvo Penta 5.7s with fuel injection. My starboard engine runs fine but my port engine is giving me fits.

It starts and idles fine, but as soon as throttle is applied, is sputters, pops, and dies. It seems to be going lean. I replaced the fuel pump and filter, the injectors, and the spark plugs. I cleaned the distributer cap, and even swapped the computer with the starboard engine. Nothing worked, but it does seem to idle better. I even thought about water in the fuel but the starboard engine and generator run fine.

I'm at a loss about what it could be. Any ideas?

I've never been successful in cleaning distributor caps except once when it was the only way to limp home.... and the usual question... when did this start, i.e did this engine ever run ok for you?

Last edited:
Check the pressure on your fuel lines for that engine. If there is the slightest leak/weeping, then when you give throttle it increases the volume at which the fuel moves through the lines. Which, ends up vacuuming in much more air into the line/ system from the outside the lines, causing your engine to lean out and die.

Just a potential thought, based on what you described. Its obviously either timing, or fuel restriction (assuming the engine ran fine otherwise before and it just started doing this to you out of nowhere). The engine needs air, fuel, spark, and timed right. If it's getting air, then check fuel pressure at the end of the line (under throttle too). If it's getting fuel, then check spark. If it's getting spark, then you can assume it's timing related.

If timing related, make sure your distributor and all components are within spec and go over it all with a multimeter. Somewhere in this process of elimination you'll hit the mark and be good to go.

Back