Logo

70 Hp Tohatsu problem

J

Joseph Czech

" I am having a problem with m

" I am having a problem with my 70 Hp tohatsu. I have recently taken off the carbs and cleaned them, replaced the plugs, drained the tank (after carb cleaning)and replaced water separator. Heres the problem. Yesterday I was driving out to the beach (about 5 miles) the motor started up and ran fine there. When I went to leave I had a problem getting it started. When I did i seemed as if one cyliders was not firing. It was spraying gas instead of try to suck it into engine. The only was it would stay running is with the Idle throttle at max. I finally put in new plugs and got moving enough to get to a ramp. I am getting good fire but it just doesn't seem to want to start after it has run for a while. Could I have gottem some trash up in the carb after I cleaned them but before I drained the fuel tank etc. any help would be appreciated.

thanks. "

Also noticed when cleaning ou

Also noticed when cleaning out the carbs that the low speed jets had rubber plugs that covered them with a small hole coming from the high speed jet area. I was wondering if this should be there etc.

" The blowing gas out of the c

" The blowing gas out of the carbs makes me wonder about valves. I presume this engine has reed valves. If a petal is worn, broken or impeded by crap then you get blow-back through the carb and it won't run very well.

Could something have gotten in there when you were working on the carbs? "

I am starting to think that i

I am starting to think that it is a carb problem. last night I worked on it a while and noticed gas was not flowing through the carbs at the same rate. I have gotten the top and bottom carb running at the same rate but the middle is not. When the engine cuts out I went and emptied the bowls and it seems the the top and bottom bowls are about normal but the middle has an excess amount of gas in it. This makes me think that the middle carb may have some sort of restriction in it. I will take it apart tonight and try again.

thanks

" Joe,

The rubber plugs tha

" Joe,

The rubber plugs that you mentioned are a necessary part of the carb. You have to use them.

Tony "

Back