Logo

DP C-1 oil leak

I just noticed an oil leak behind the large prop and I'm not sure if it is coming from the prop shaft or the bearing housing. It really doesn't matter because if I can get this thing apart I'll replace all the seals and O rings. From looking at the schematic,it looks like I will need 2 large O rings for the bearing carrier, 2 seals for the large prop, 2 seals for the small prop and O rings for the drain and fill plugs. If anyone can think of anything else I might need to order please let me know. Also, I don't have the special tools that Volvo recommends so if anyone has done this any tips you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I just wanted to let anyone know who has one of these drives that the bearing carrier and prop shaft seal job is not that hard. All the info you need is right here in this forum. Making the puller was easy because I decided to use a piece of 2 x 8 wood instead of 1/2 in. steel plate (I didn't have anything to cut and drill the steel plate with). The puller worked great and only cost $6 for the threaded rod, nuts and washers. The hardest part was removing the small FWD seal from the prop shaft but that was only a 15 min. fight. The rest easy.

By the way..... and I'm sure that you know this....... each pair of seals are directional, with one seal facing the oil side (FWD) and with the other facing the seawater side (AFT).

Thanks, I was careful to note the direction of each seal as I removed them. The only one that had me a little confused was the small FWD seal in the prop shaft. It is a double lip seal and looked about the same from either direction until I noticed one side had a painted ring around it. I put the painted end (small gold stripe) in first facing FWD. Had the boat in the water two times and so far no leaks!

Back