Logo

Stuck 1976 Chrysler 35 hp

tmack41

Recently acquired this motor. It appears to be complete and in pretty good condition visually.
It is however stuck I suspect from just sitting. Any suggestions on freeing it up. I'm thinking
of just pulling the plugs and soaking the cylinders with something like Seafoam ??
Thank you

Seafoam is a waste of $$$(my opinion)
WD-40 or Krol or PB Blaster would be my choice.

I'd pull the head or plugs and inspect for rust.

Sometimes the lower unit gets locked and won't allow the motor to turn.
Drop the lower and see if that makes a difference.
Drain the grease and check for water?

Thank you. I'll try the PB Blaster. I've had good luck with that product on really rusty bolts//nuts. Patience is key.

After letting PB Blaster sit in the cylinders for a few days, wasn't able to get it to budge. Took the head off and found some
light rust on each cylinder wall but not everywhere. Both pistons are positioned to cover the intake/exhaust ports so a small
reservoir of the penetrating oil can sit on top of them. I periodically tap each one with a block of wood and hammer. I'll continue
this for another few days to see if it will move.

Is the flywheel locked solid or does it move back and forth just a wee, wee bit.-------Is flywheel is solid and will not budge it is likely a bearing problem .----Teardown would be required.

Update: Dropped the lower unit and it was not stuck. I did find the water intake was plugged solid with sand/silt. The water pump appeared ok. I suspect
that the last time this is engine ran, it overheated and seized. Looks like a tear down will be needed but most likely a winter project. I just hope that the
cylinder walls aren't too badly scored. Thanks everyone for your input.

Curiosity is getting the best of me and I'll most likely continue taking it apart. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to best remove the flywheel?
The manual I have says not to use a puller that grabs the ring gear. The flywheel does not have any threaded bolt holes in the top that would allow me to
to use the other type of puller. I does have several dimples that look like they could be drilled and tapped but possibly risky to the wiring underneath. ????

Loosen but don't take the nut off.
Then using 2 BIG screwdrivers or pry bars apply pressure at opposite sides and then have someone hit the
flywheel with a 3# hammer near the nut.
Couple of sharp blows should loosen the wheel.

I suspect that because the motor is so frozen, a replacement block my be in order. It is my understanding that the 30 hp and the 35 hp have the same bore and share the same block. Any comments ?
Thanks

They're the same if they use the alternator.
The magneto model has different mounting for the mag.
It might be usable with some modifacatin.

Back