Logo

1996 Johnson 90hp v4 not starting after sitting for a week

Basmn

Fires up pretty easy after sitting in the driveway all winter ( trim all the way down)but when I put it in the water and let it sit for a week (trim up) it will not start...I prime the fuel.fast idle on and hit the electric choke a few time..and it just cranks...no start... when I do eventually get it started it runs like a top..and restarts the same day with no issues....really starting to anoy me
Any ideas ???????
Ed

The key is to be PUSHED IN while cranking the motor over.-----Pushing the key in before cranking is NOT the proper starting procedure.

Testing needs to be done.-----Is there fuel coming out of the wee hoses off the electric primer when cranking it over , yes or no ?

Not sure but I will check....
UPDATE.....so I crank the **** out of it....no start ( trim has been up all week)
Go back 30 min later...crank the **** out of it no start (trim now down)..no start......wait 3 hrs (trim down)... crank and fires up.....squeeze ball sometimes does not get firm....disconnect the fuel line at the eng and squeeze and it gets firm.....I'm pretty sure it's a fuel issue. I'm gona get a new squeeze primer and see...mabey the check ball's are faulty allowing fuel to drain back to tank when the eng is trimmed up

There are 2 totally different 90 HP models in 96.----A 90 degree crossflow and 60 degree looper.----Your model # ??-----Starter motors are easily burned up with too much cranking.------That can lead to hard to start condition.

Yes----" starter cranks just fine "-----Is a very common response.-------Some will argue--The first thing I would do is take the starter apart for inspection.-----Elegantly simple ( no cost ) procedure !!

But if the engine turn over at a good rpm...what could be wrong with the starter ?.
I'm still leaning toward fuel issue.
I bought a can of quick start..as much as I despise that stuff..but it will confirm the no fuel issue I think I'm having

I have had an issue with my 1996 Johnson 90hp V4 not wanting to start when I leave it sitting around (outside) for more than 4 weeks. Cranks over fine just doesnt fire until I give it a squirt of CRC engine start and its away like a trooper. Only happens when cold and not run for a while but has me perplexed. Someone mentioned condensation in the combustion chamber and suggested a cover for the top of the outboard. We have had a few colder mornings (2-3 degrees) but nothing freezing recently and always try to start later in the day when things have warmed up.

Any ideas what could be the cause/solution? Runs fine apart from the initial starting process initially.You check them here forboat .eu thanks

Is it a 90 degree crossflow motor or a 60 degree looper ?-----Model # is ?----Key is to be pushed in WHILE cranking it over.-------Inspect or test the electric primer valve.-----It is a valve and not a pump.------Check to see if fuel comes out of the wee hoses while cranking it over with key pushed in.-------And ignore your friends who talk about condensation !!

Last edited:
Is it a 90 degree crossflow motor or a 60 degree looper ?-----Model # is ?----Key is to be pushed in WHILE cranking it over.-------Inspect or test the electric primer valve.-----It is a valve and not a pump.------Check to see if fuel comes out of the wee hoses while cranking it over with key pushed in.-------And ignore your friends who talk about condensation !!
2x on this.....

When these engine sit long enough the fuel will evaporate out of the carb, leaving the oil behind making for a hard start. Pull a drain plug from one of the carbs to check for this.

Back