Logo

honda BF200 constant alarm

Rgeo11

hello I could really use some help. My strb Honda BF200 has a constant alarm when I go above 3000 rpm and the oil light goes out. I turn the engine off and restarted it with no alarm at idle. i used the procedure to pull codes and nothing came up.if it was the oil pressure sensor wouldn’t it throw a code?The oil was 3/8 of inch high on the dip stick prior so I changed the oil and thermostats hoping that would fix the issue, but it did not .I appreciate any help I can get on this issue

Oil pressure failure is not logged as a fault code.I suggest checking it with a mechanical gauge, this sound like a typical symptom of thrust washer failure.What year is the motor, what grade of oil did you use and how many hours has it done?

thanks for the reply ,and the motors are 2006s. I checked the thrust washer play with feelers and came up with .016 so Its still in tolerance from what I have read.. I am using the K&n hp1004 oil filter with Honda 10w-30 oil,and when I changed it no metal came out.Do you know if you can use the smaller Allen head bolt right next to the 22mx1.5 3/8 drive bolt to check the oil pressure. Other wise I’m gonna try n fab a fitting 22m fitting to check the oil pressure .the oil presure sensors are not gonna be fun to get to so I would like to weed out all the simple things before attacking them . Thanks

Unfortunately you can only check oil pressure at the 22mm fitting on the vtec solenoid. You are going about this the right way checking with a mechanical gauge first,keeping it simple.

Ok so I made the fitting to check the oil pressure and it was 50lbs at idle. Not good. I find it hard to believe that it’s the oil filter because I been using them for 4 years since I got the boat and never had this issue.any ideas on where to look for blockage or a way to flush the oil ?

Ian - I don't want to hijack this thread. But, can you provide more info on how to properly check the oil pressure, and what is the specification range? I'm sure a lot of folks would like to know, including me.

Rgeo11 - once you get this sorted out, I recommend that you switch to Merc 25W-40 FC-W or very similar heavier oil.

Oil pressure is checked using an adapter plug in place of the large 22mm plug on the side of the vtec solenoid. At cold start up, oil pressure should be around 80 psi at idle. Run the engine under load for at least 20 mins observing the oil pressure, it should remain constant above 60psi when operating temp is reached and min 23psi at idle (700 rpm) These are not factory figures, these numbers are from my own observation with a healthy motor.Rgeo11, how did you measure your crankshaft end float with feeler gauges? The only way to accurately measure is to mount a dial indicator on top of the motor with gauge foot sitting vertically on the crank pulley and then gently lift it up and down using a crowbar noting the indicated play. Note, on later engines that have the modified thrust washers and lower crank support spring installed, the gear case must be removed before checking the clearance

In order to get my oil pressure for all u Honda bf200 guys I went to the auto parts store and purchased a m22 x1.5 oil drain plug. I drilled a hole in it and then welded a 3/8 npt fitting to the top to check the oil pressure. Other wise its 90 dollars for the fitting from Honda .As far as oil pressure I am glad to hear the higher numbers. When I started the boat it was at 75psi and then after running for about 5min on ear muffs it dropped to about 65psi then50 psi. I don’t understand why my solec says it should be between 17-26psi at idle???

When I took the thrust bearing reading there is a nut in between the case that I found .I took an original feeler without prying of .035 . Then I took a pry bar to the pulley and added .016 to feelers. The nut almost looks like a spanner nut and is that supposed to be down on the case or up against the pulley?

After reading a lot online about that the thrust washer i will be using 25w-40soon. Is the a possibility that the new K&n oil filter i been using for 4 years is creating a too high of an oil pressure Or is it one of them oil pressure switches I really don’t want to go after ?? Is there anywhere I can look for build up or blockage In the oil????

Your engine is not hot enough, the specs you read are as mentioned but at operating temp, oil takes about 5 times longer than coolant to reach operating temp, so a good hard 20 min run, whilst running keep an eye on the oil pressure, it should hold steady at more than 60psi after engine is fully warmed up, if less you have a problem because the ecm matches oil pressure to engine speed.

Back