Logo

Johnson pump - 454 correct crank pulley

bobct

Advanced Contributor
So after rebuilding my E-35, I took another look at the clearance I had at the front of my 1988 454's. Initially I didn't think I could make it work but I am going to add an access panel on my port engine if I'm short on clearance to swap the impellor.

Does anyone know if what the correct part # or link is to the correct crank pulley with the dowel pins (or do I have those already)? Am I re-using the same bolts or do I need shorter ones?

thanks
Bob

Bob, you will not regret going to the crankshaft seawater pump.
In the Johnson, the F5B-9 is the small volume pump and the F6B-9 is the large volume pump

Assuming that these engines are equipped with V-belts, the V-belt crankshaft pulley is nothing more than an automotive engine pulley with the stamped steel raised dowels. I don't know the part number, but I'll bet that a good GM parts man can help you find the right one.

There is an alternative to the raised dowels for pump flange centering alignment via using custom made bushings.
I think that bushings (along with the correct bolts) would give the pump mounting flange a better centering alignment.

Crankshaft pump conversion bushings .jpg

By the way..... the guys in the Merc forum are Foo Foo'ing this pump as a conversion from that silly OEM belt driven seawater pump.
When you get this project completed, please post a few good photos for us.

Last edited:
Back