Logo

Engine alignment OMC. Cobra

GregO.

I removed the engine on my 89 Four Winns with a 260 hp cobra, GM 5.7 engine. I am having a difficult time getting the engine aligned. I have raised and lowered the front motor mounts top to bottom while my wife was working the alignment tool. I'm not sure where the drive coupling is in relation to the rear motor mounts. So if I raise the front of the engine, does that raise, or lower the coupling ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This demonstrates the what the goal is for the Merc drive coupler alignment procedure.
It will be very similar for your Cobra.

Drive Coupler alignment explained 5.jpg

Drive Coupler alignment explained 4.jpg

I pulled the motor to find a leak where the y pipe bolts on to the transom mount. While I was at it I replaced the transom mount seal. Eveverything is in the same place pretty much. But to get proper alignment I had to drop the front of the engine all the way to the bottom, and it still wasn't perfect alignment. I actually pulled out the 5/8 plywood pillow block that was under the front motor mounts and put in an 1/8 inch piece of aluminum. I don't know what changed, and why the adjustment is so much different than prior to removing the engine. The alignment tool goes in easy now. But there is no more lowering adjustment left in the front. Anyway, hope everything is fine. I just don't get it. Rear mounts look fine. I don't think I left anything off.

Look again at the order-of-assembly of rear engine mount components.

If you are re-installing the same engine, I would say that something back there is not right!

I'm really puzzled. I don't see anything wrong with the rear motor mounts. The transom plate is maybe 1/32 inch lower than the old mark on inside of transom. But wouldn't think that would make much difference. I hate to, but I guess I will pull the motor out again and take a closer look again.

Back