Logo

4.3 V6 Sparks, fuel, compression --> cracking but not starting

Just saying , got a tune up kit from Donavan for a 3.7L -165hp .4 cylinder points,condenser , rotor and cap . no fire afterwards it was the rotor button. Wrong rotor in backage. Ordered another kit it had wrong rotor

Swap rotor
I did replaced the rotor with the old one and one more time with the one from Starboard side .. same results both times .. I really need something on this engine to be broken so I can troubleshoot it .. It is easier to troubleshoot when something is not working like spark or fuel or even compression because we know how to fix it .. but this case everything is there .. spark, fuel and compression ... Working on the engine this weekend again like many weekend over the summer .. level of frustration reaching up there

Thank you for the hints

Get two toggle switches.
One should be on/off
Other should be momentary.

Three 16 ga wires, i would suggest 4 ft long each with alligator clips on one end of each wire.
Also use fork or ring terminals ends for switch connections. Dont just strip wires and wrap the around terminals....do it right!!
Red, yellow, purple wire colors.

connect short red wire to one terminal on each switch.
Also coonect long red wire to ONE of the same switch connection.

Connect purple to other terminal on On/Off switch.

Connect yellow to other terminal on Momentary switch.

On/Off switch in the OFF position.

Connect red to battery.

Connect yellow to slave solenoid small yellow with red, or starter solenoid same wire, small yellow with red stripe.

Connect Purple to coil +

With all wires connected, unplug if you want, the large wire harness connector.
(Make sure key is out of ignition switch)
Disconnect throttle cable from carb and you will work this by hand.

To use this rig correctly,

Turn on/off switch on. This applies power to coil.
Now activate Momentary switch. This will engage starter.
in your case, if engine starts, release Momentary.

If engine starts, to shut down, turn On/Off switch OFF.
WhatsApp Image 2019-08-06 at 3.05.09 PM.jpg This is part of the set up for the test I am going to run this weekend . So far the switch is for the coil positive.. I have add tthe yello cable for the fuel pump in case I need to provide 12V to the fuel pump.. Let me know whats the deal to the fuel pump because I know that it does use the power form the starter and the switch over the oil sender switch after the engine started..

The other switch for the starter i already have one of the remote cable for the starter that I bought year ago .. so I should be ready for this weekend .

just the fuel pump is the only thing left that I would like to get a feedback to get this setup ready to go.

Thank you for the help

If you have the oil pressure SWITCH,
Jump the two wires/connectors together.

The fuel pump should get its power from Ignition on (purple) wire.
Not the starter.
The starter solenoid connection would put voltage to the pump when cranking only, bypassing oil pressure switch to allow pump to run when starting.
Once key returns to run position then the Purple, ignition on/run controls pump..

You should get a schematic
For your model.!!!!!!

Well I wanted to close this story with the solution... After almost 6 months of troubleshooting the engine which has GOOD Spark, fuel and compression and replaced the following parts:

1) Oil sender Unit
2) Rotor, Coil, Sparkplug cables and Sparkplugs
3) Distributor Cap
4) Pick up sensor at the distributor (2 for the Just in case)
5) Water/Fuel Filter
6) Starter ... ( I really wanted to change it to a heavy duty one anyway ...so it did not hurt :) )

3 Mechanics told me to replace the distributor itself, I doubt it to be honest because the only electrical part on the distributor got replaced twice ( pickup sensor) . Well I installed a new to me distributor and the engine started just like nothing happened to it. Somehow the distributor was shortening... well I have a working engine now.. too bad that the season is over but I had the chance to sea trail the boat ... here is a video of the sea trail ... ( BTW sunset was amazing)

https://youtu.be/xWlj6KGgq1w

Let's all hope your troubles are behind you!

Hell to have to wait all those months to find out.

Jeff

PS: We looked seriously at a Maxim 28 footer a while ago. Nice boats.

Back