Logo

Evinrude 1982 15 hp Cooling

DrCoxie

Contributing Member
So I just pulled the cylinder head off the engine to check on some bad cooling issue I've been having (cylinder walls and everything looks really great, some carbon ofc but really okey) and it's pretty clean around the watter jackets too, so the problem has to be deeper in the engine, it has a great telltale but the cooling still seems bad, does anyone know how to best clear out the paths? For now I've sprayed half a can of rust solvent and degreaser in there to see if that does anything but it feels like I need to dig deeper, or do I?

Perhaps the rubber grommet at the top of the water tube is damaged.-----Powerhead has to be removed to inspect / change that item.----Not really that hard to do !---Have you installed a new impeller ?

Perhaps the rubber grommet at the top of the water tube is damaged.-----Powerhead has to be removed to inspect / change that item.----Not really that hard to do !---Have you installed a new impeller ?

hmm, yeah I've been wondering if I should just pull the whole power head off, getting the cylinder head off without removing it was hard enough, I don't have a proper shop though, my gf is already mad I'm wrenching on this thing in the livingroom xD

If I do pull it off, do I need any special tools to put it back together?

Is it just me, or do impellers last about 1/8th the time as the originals from the 50's 60'sand 70's. Just took apart a 1969 LS Johnson 6 today, and the impeller is still mint. The new ones must be made partially of synthetic rubber, its like they are less flexible......to the point of being rigid. Seems the fingers are bent tighter as well.....with the newer "high pressure" pumps. So they are required to flex more.????

Edited Quote--> Do impellers last about 1/8th the time as the originals from the 50's 60's 70's? New ones must be made partially of synthetic rubber, less flexible. Seems the fingers are bent tighter as well so they are required to flex more?

As time passes, it seems to be a necessary evil Tim. I've seen reputable businesses, even factories go under... and as they went, quality dropped and prices soared. Competition, bad decisions, inflation, a last business straw-grab, greed? It's in there somewhere.

There was a time long ago when folks appreciated quality.------In my area there were furniture factories.----Old time skills that built solid wood / beautiful / last for generations stuff.-------They are all gone now because the general public has switched to the -----" throw it away " we are moving.-----Buy cheap plastic / chrome new stuff wherever they go.---Not much different with cars / outboards today.-----Shops that used to " rebuild " stuff are gone.-----Flashy show room with new stuff generates the profit.----And a big part of it is TAXES and OVERHEAD on a shop today.

Back