Logo

1993 Penta DP-C Trasmission leak

Boat had a small vibration that went away when you trimmed it up. (Press button for 1 sec)
Decided to take it apart to check it and found out that the trasmission is apparently leaking. What is involved with removing the driveshaft from the trasmission? Is replacing the front seal in the trasmission just a basic seal replacement?

Not really basic, but it is doable if you are mechanically inclined and if you follow these suggestions.

NOTE: The early transmission bearing box rolling torque value was shim controlled.
The A and later bearing box rolling torque value is crush sleeve (aka pre-tension sleeve) controlled.
Since this is a C transmission, this rolling torque value is crush sleeve controlled.
(see image below)

The C bearing box and collar are integral, meaning that this is a one piece aluminum component (as apposed to the 2 pc with steel bearing box).

The main drive gear depth contact is controlled by a gasket style shim pack. The four cap screw threads have not seen water, and should come out easily.

Once the bearing box is removed, you will have access to the center cap screw (bolt) that holds the male yoke into the gear.
Before removing this cap screw, take a rolling torque value reading. See your OEM work shop manual for the procedure and value.

Now you can remove this cap screw and the complete universal drive shaft will be free from the main drive gear.

Once this is out, you will see the main drive gear seal.

Remove the large snap ring and carefully remove the old seal.

Now examine the small seal surface washer that will be on the male yoke. It may be rusty, and may be the reason for the seal failure.
If so, replace this part and it's thin O-ring seal as well.

While apart, you may want to press the main drive gear out of the bearing box in order to examine the 31307 bearing (the large bearing that takes most of the load).
If both the 30207 and 31307 bearing races and roller cages look good, you can safely reuse them.

If you do press the gear out, you will see the crush sleeve.

Now, the OEM suggests going back together with a new crush sleeve (aka pre-tension sleeve).
Since the rolling torque value (on what we call "run in" bearings) can actually be increased a small amount, the crush sleeve can be reused.
You will simply take another rolling torque value reading.
If your reading is a tad bit weak, you will further crush the sleeve..... but DO NOT exceed what the OEM calls out for "run-in" bearings.

Be sure to replace all O-rings..... drain plug, dip stick, oil drain back tube and the large bearing O-ring......... they do not go a second time around.
I will also suggest replacing the eccentric piston seal and housing O-ring.

Keep in mind that the Duo Prop requires GL-5 gear lube.

Edit: as long as you are in there this far, you may as well replace the PDS bearing/seal.
Your model will use the single bearing PDS, of which means that it will come out AFT without removing the engine.
You should have an industry standard 62062RS bearing with a 35x62x7mm seal in a single lip Timken or TCM brand.

rolling torque value check.jpg

Attachments

• Pre A main drive gear rolling torque shim control.jpg
    Pre A main drive gear rolling torque shim control.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Dang..... I got timed out and cannot do another edit.

By the way, if you do replace the PDS bearing/seal, note that the AFT PDS seal installs in the Non-Conventional direction.
In other words, the lip and tension spring face AFT, not FWD as we might think it should!

Also, your universal drive shaft requires the bearing crosses that are externally clipped.
You will not be able to use the earlier style internally clipped bearing crosses!

Once you get in there, it will all make more sense to you.

Let me know if you need more info.

Koyo 6206RS is on the way. I also have 2 Meyle 514 814 0002, and multiple O-rings and seals on the way.

My boat, family, and I thank you for all the help.

You are very welcome.
Good luck and I hope that you can be on the water soon.
I saw somewhere you said you had some U- Joint Assembly for sale to fit a DP-C drive. Do you still have some and it so how much? I think it's part number 3860230. (Boat is a 1993 Regal Ventra 8.3 SE, Volvo Penta 740(454) engine.)

If I have one, it will be in storage out at my commercial building.
I may go out there today, and I will look. I'll also clear my PMs so that you will be able to PM me your contact info.

Back