Logo

Replace pull rope?

ahlangle

1990 Johnson 15hp (j15resr) pull rope is about to break.
Does anyone know where I can (1) purchase a new rope and (2) find video on how to replace it?
Seems easy to y’all I’ll bet, but I’m very new to it!
many thanks in advance!

The different size (diameter) nylon cords are available at your dealership, cut from rolls to whatever length you specify.
(Manual Starter Cord Installation)
(This pertains to the type of Manual Starters such as the later 9.9hp and 15hp models)
(J. Reeves)

The starter assy must be off and on the bench to do this. Split the pulley by removing the retaining screws that retain the pulley halves. Install the rope, kinking it slightly so that it doesn't come undone. Reassemble and re-install the starter.

Now, looking straight down at the starter, turn the pulley a turn or two in a counter clockwise direction to exert a pressure on the spring. Then, while holding the starter in that position, unkink the cord and thread it out the starter cord passageway.

Pull the rope all the way out to make sure that it extends all the way (and retracts). While it's pulled out, tie a slip knot in it so that it doesn't accidently get away from you and slam back in. Install the handle, release that slip knot... that's it.

Joe, where were you when I did my first recoil? Still got scars on my hand from it! Don't need tattoos, got enough "battle scars" already. Hands and arms look like a "roadmap". No matter how hard I try, can't work in gloves.

Last edited:
Yes, it has the newer design without that post and the spiral spindle that I so long loved. The new design has that flat plate that you take the thing apart to get to the rope.

I have also scars on my hands and fingers, after doing starter rebuild to my Evinrude. I bought my rope from aftermarket shop. Old rope was assembled in the factory 1966, and it was not very bad, i just wanted to put new rope because i think that old one was quite bit too old, after all, my starter works better and rope moves in and out much better than before.

Great advice, many thanks.
Sounds more complicated than I anticipated.
Many ideas where i can find a visual/schematic/videoso I know what to look for?

Complicated?... No, you're just visualizing it that way.

Is it so complicated that you would spend a hundred bucks or more to have that rope installed?

Ca'mon! Get that thing up on your work bench, print our instructions out, and get on with it. :)

Right, Joe can do those blindfolded while in handcuffs under water. He's like 75 years old and probably has plenty arthritis.........CERTAINLY you can do it! Make sure you get that new blue/black starter rope.....its indestructable. Look closely at my chain saw.

Attachments

• 1020181219_resized.jpg
    1020181219_resized.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
1990 Johnson 15hp (j15resr) pull rope is about to break.
Does anyone know where I can (1) purchase a new rope and (2) find video on how to replace it?
Seems easy to y’all I’ll bet, but I’m very new to it!
many thanks in advance!

See what Joe says

Also see the instructions in the manual on the Boatinfo website. In particular how to keep the spring in its cup

Right, Joe can do those blindfolded. He's like 75 years old and probably has plenty arthritis.

You're so kind Tim... God, to be just 75 again, roller skating, gals coming over every night, wild parties, those were the days! As it stands... three years to 90 but God has obviously been good to me and I've got in the habit of thanking him/her/it for each day every morning as soon as my head clears.

Arthritis?... No, I quit smoking back in Jan 3 of 1999 at 1330hrs. :cool: (5 mini strokes that day!). Only problem I have now is when I make a fist, then unwrap it... my pinkie want to stay locked in a coil. A muslim saw that one day, accused me of calling him a ***hole! :rolleyes:.

Short reply... late wife's car (89 Crown Vic) starts okay, acts like it immediately runs out of gas. Hope it's not that "in tank fuel pump"... really hate that job!

Take a manual starter any-day!;)

The guy has got it set in there wrong. ?????? Rope not supposed to hit there, it will wear out right away. The video with the Dad and the little boy working on the dock is way better. Good thing they didn't drop the washer through the dock. I remember my Dad doing that too. Thats where I learned the "best" 4 letter words. That video is great. Riding the boat after, little boy enjoying the fruits of his work and companionship with his Dad.
Joe.....you gotta be kidding! Gonna come see you and fix that Crown Vic! Brother Frank just bought a house and shop in Orlando.
Joe, check private message.

The guy has got it set in there wrong. ?????? Rope not supposed to hit there, it will wear out right away. The video with the Dad and the little boy working on the dock is way better. Good thing they didn't drop the washer through the dock. I remember my Dad doing that too. Thats where I learned the "best" 4 letter words. That video is great. Riding the boat after, little boy enjoying the fruits of his work and companionship with his Dad.
Joe.....you gotta be kidding! Gonna come see you and fix that Crown Vic! Brother Frank just bought a house and shop in Orlando.
Joe, check private message.

lol..... I didn't even watch the whole thing, Just assumed it was done right. I forgot it's the "internets"! ah ah ah.
Yeah I saw the one you mention of the dad and boy too, just should have picked that one.
To sum it up, OP, just google "changing rope on outboard starter" and you will have the response to your questions I'm sure, somewhere in there....

Back