Logo

87 15hp outboard carb tune

Hey guys need some advice and help on tunning the carb.
After assembly of carb and setting all adjustment to stock specs from manual, I can start engine in Neutral idles fines and revs. As soon as I put in gear and give throttle the engine bogs down? What I'm I doing wrong?

Is the motor running on both cylinders ?-----Did it run well before you opened the carburetor ?-----Compression tested ?---Tested for spark on both leads ?-----How long have you owned it ?

The motor has sat for about 2 years. I do have spark on both cylinders. Compression test yes.
I think my idle screw lean/rich is off. I was reading at Leroy's.com it said 4 turns out. I did mine at 1.5. I have the 87 late edition with plastic top on carburetor. I'm not sure about my timing setting. They said in neutral with throttle at start the roller cam on carburetor needs to line up with the line on the plastic plate on timing plate. I think mine roller is too worn out . I ordered new one. For mean time I can wrap electrical tape and make it thicker for testing purposes.
I have been playing with the adjustment screw on the black plastic plate on the timing but I don't hear or see any changes.
Also book said idle RPM is between 650-700 how do I set without a tachometer

Back