Logo

Help! Four wins 210 from 2005 engine stopped suspect head gasket blown

Philippk

Good morning,
We are on vacation and took our boat out for the first time after winterization. Engine was running normal- we had her for 2min on plain and suddenly the engine stopped and we couldn’t switch in on anymore. Engine did not overheat- also no smoke or anything. Motor compartment and cover was full of oil so they supspect a blown head gasket.

We had it winterized at at dealer-

engine only has 300hrs

is this going to be expensive? What could have caused this? Any other advise?

thanks so much! Julia

Good morning,
We are on vacation and took our boat out for the first time after winterization. Engine was running normal- we had her for 2min on plain and suddenly the engine stopped and we couldn’t switch in on anymore. Engine did not overheat- also no smoke or anything. Motor compartment and cover was full of oil so they supspect a blown head gasket.
Typically, a blown head gasket will not cause oil spray.

It would be helpful to know which engine the boat is equipped with!

We had it winterized at at dealer-
Make sure that you still have your receipt for the winterizing.
I'm not suggesting that this issue is due to improper winterization........... However, after the forensics have been done, you may need this receipt!

engine only has 300hrs
Mostly irreverent at this time.

is this going to be expensive? What could have caused this?
None of us can accurately comment on this as of yet.
You need to first find out what went wrong.

Any other advise?
Seek the help of a skilled and trustworthy mechanic or shop.
Ask for full diagnostics up front.
ONLY after proper diagnostics have confirmed the issue, and ONLY after seeing that the diagnostics are referred to in the work order QUOTE (not an estimate), do you authorize the work.

Otherwise, you may as well hand over a signed blank check.

thanks so much! Julia

Last edited:
A long shot... If oil and filter were changed at same time as winterizing (they should) and oil filter wasn't tightened correctly, engine would dump oil into compartment, engine would run out of oil and no oil pressure.... engine stop and won't restart.

BTW.... if "they suspect" is the same "they" that winterized your engine.. FIND ANOTHER MECHANIC!!!

Last edited:
so they supspect a blown head gasket.

Ayuh,.... Donno who "They" are, but find somebody else to Diagnose the issue,.......

A blown head gasket would be the last thing I'd suspect,......

oil filter.jpgWell...another possiblity....if that engine has a remote oil filter mount...I do recall...back some years...there was a recall on those oil filter hoses...if one broke...you could have exactly that outcome....why I have not changed my old boat over to one...as long as I can still fit into the space where the filter is...leaving it on the block.....

So it was the hoses for the remote oil filter? If so....I'd just keep an eye on them...you should be opening the engine hatch and checking things before you start the engine anyway...
With an inboard gas engine or I/O always...
open hatch before starting...
sniff for gas fumes
check motor oil and coolant level if it has a heat exchanger
check for any obvious leaks and water in the bilge
run blower 4 min before cranking engine over

if you do these things you will avoid breakdowns on the water...

A long shot... If oil and filter were changed at same time as winterizing (they should) and oil filter wasn't tightened correctly, engine would dump oil into compartment, engine would run out of oil and no oil pressure.... engine stop and won't restart.

BTW.... if "they suspect" is the same "they" that winterized your engine.. FIND ANOTHER MECHANIC!!!

It was not tightened correctly- thanks so much for your help!
now we have another problem- the boat was running ok on the lake but after we switched it off we were not able to start it again... it is cranking but the engine will not start. We waited over night and it started in the morning- after we rode it for 30min we switched it off and tried to restart and ran into the same problem... any advise? Thank you!

Back