Logo

1991 Larson with 5.7 DP Volvo

lnormanss

I was having trouble getting the boat started, it would start and then appeared to be dead and then would start. Went out of the lake and it went dead and never did start again. The batteries show full charge. There is a clicking on the 841177 Relay and 841178 circuit breaker. My reading on this issue says that based on the clicking here there should be no problem at the battery level. Is that correct and does anyone know how I check out the relay and breaker further? As I understand it, they both serve the trim unit and starter. The trim is working fine.

Any help would be appreciated. My normal mechanic could not look it till August.

Thanks, Lee

No reason for circuit breakers to click... AND can I assume from context that "would not start" really means "will not crank"?

I was having trouble getting the boat started, it would start and then appeared to be dead and then would start. Went out of the lake and it went dead and never did start again. The batteries show full charge.
A good 12 volt wet cell battery (after having been fully charged and after having been at rest for approx 8 hours), should show approx 12.4 to 12.6 volts.

There is a clicking on the 841177 Relay and 841178 circuit breaker.
A non-auto-reset circuit breaker should not be clicking more than once, and that would be if it had tripped due to excessive amp load.
By the way, the "click" made by a circuit breaker would be very hard to hear by ear!

My reading on this issue says that based on the clicking here there should be no problem at the battery level.
Not so...... even at 11 volts (dead battery) there will be enough juice to activate the magnetic coil side of a relay or solenoid.

Is that correct and does anyone know how I check out the relay and breaker further? As I understand it, they both serve the trim unit and starter. The trim is working fine.
A circuit breaker can be tested by placing the rated load on it and then by exceeding the rated load to see if it opens the circuit.
A relay is tested by activating the magnetic coil side, and then by doing a continuity test at the switching side.

Last edited:
Back